Yellow jackets YJS in my Orange Ad50 Custom shop?

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

kars0747
Tiny Terror

Yellow jackets YJS in my Orange Ad50 Custom shop?

Post by kars0747 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:19 am

Hi there
Does anyone here know if I can use yellow jackets YJS in my orange Ad50 custom shop amp thus replacing my el34´s with el84´s and thereby making the amp a bit quiter ? As I understand the YJS model that I have of the yellow jackets are for amps with fixed bias. My ad50 is fixed bias in the 30 watt setting and in the 50 watt setting it is cathode biased. I only use the 30 watt setting.
Les Paul, Orange AD50 CS, ppc 212 ob with 3ow green back heritage (g12h 30) and a greenback (g12m), Boss tuner, Cry Baby, Electro Harmonix Electric Mistress, T-Rex replica and the orange sustain pedal

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Re: Yellow jackets YJS in my Orange Ad50 Custom shop?

Post by a.hun » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:27 am

kars0747 wrote:Hi there
Does anyone here know if I can use yellow jackets YJS in my orange Ad50 custom shop amp thus replacing my el34´s with el84´s and thereby making the amp a bit quiter ? As I understand the YJS model that I have of the yellow jackets are for amps with fixed bias. My ad50 is fixed bias in the 30 watt setting and in the 50 watt setting it is cathode biased. I only use the 30 watt setting.
Sure that isn't the other way around?
(Cathode biasing being less efficient = lower power output than fixed biasing!) ;)

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

kars0747
Tiny Terror

Post by kars0747 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:22 am

Hey Andy. Sure enough. It´s the other way around. Still do you know if I can use the yellow jackets YRS which are for fixed biased amps as far as I can tell from their web page. That is if I use the 50 watt setting then.
Les Paul, Orange AD50 CS, ppc 212 ob with 3ow green back heritage (g12h 30) and a greenback (g12m), Boss tuner, Cry Baby, Electro Harmonix Electric Mistress, T-Rex replica and the orange sustain pedal

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:18 am

Clearance may be an issue. You should measure the available space and see if they will fit. You might have to slide the chassis out to install them and slide it back in. Maybe.

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:29 pm

If they fit they should be safe to use. I see THD don't make them any more, having sold the line. But from their old page..
http://www.thdelectronics.com/product_page_yellowjacket.html wrote:Will they hurt my amp?
No! Yellow Jacket® converters are safe for all amplifiers and transformers. As all Yellow Jacket® Converters internally limit voltage and current they put no extra strain on amplifiers' power and output transformers or internal components.
I don't know if the new manufacturers have changed anything but I'd trust THD on that.

I see there was an extra connection needed for cathode biased amps, so indeed run fixed biased for what has now become the YJS model:
https://www.yellowjacketstc.com/yellow_jacket/yjs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
If space is tight:
https://www.yellowjacketstc.com/yellow_jacket/yjshort" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

secretsoundz

Post by secretsoundz » Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:39 pm

You can try them as others have said (if they fit) but I imagine you'll be disappointed. I've never liked the results. They tend to make an amp sound flat and mushy in my experience.
:mrgreen:

kars0747
Tiny Terror

Post by kars0747 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:40 pm

Wow. I once owned a fender hot rod deluxe 40 watt which was too loud. I got the yellow jackets and was pleased. Now I am the proud owner of an orange ad50 custom shop which was too loud. Since I put the yellow jackets in - what a difference. I can turn the master up 75 % and add gain (about 30-35 %). Cannot stop smiling. The best of Vox and Marshall blended into my beautifull Orange. I am so pleased. Run it with a mix of a vintage 30 speaker and and a g12H 30 greenback (75hz)in my orange cab plus a homemade extension cab loaded with an old g12h30 greenback from 1971. Thanks for your help guys. And finally. It has taken me years to do this. Just plug in and play and use the volume knob to add gain and a little more power.

fiveightandten
Orange Master

Post by fiveightandten » Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:05 am

kars0747 wrote:Wow. I once owned a fender hot rod deluxe 40 watt which was too loud. I got the yellow jackets and was pleased. Now I am the proud owner of an orange ad50 custom shop which was too loud. Since I put the yellow jackets in - what a difference. I can turn the master up 75 % and add gain (about 30-35 %). Cannot stop smiling. The best of Vox and Marshall blended into my beautifull Orange. I am so pleased. Run it with a mix of a vintage 30 speaker and and a g12H 30 greenback (75hz)in my orange cab plus a homemade extension cab loaded with an old g12h30 greenback from 1971. Thanks for your help guys. And finally. It has taken me years to do this. Just plug in and play and use the volume knob to add gain and a little more power.
Nice. I've never actually used these. How is the low end and overall note heft with the YJs? Most EL84 amps use lower value coupling caps, as those tubes don't pass low end like bigger bottles. I'm curious as to what happens with an amp that's voiced for big bottle tubes and is run through 84's.

-Nick
'71 GRO100 || '96 OR-80 || AD30 || '64 AC-50 || AC-30TBX || Hiwatt DR504 || HI-TONE HT30
LP Standard || LP Studio || LP Custom Lite || Ric 620 || Ric 360 || MIA Tele || SG 61 RI

kars0747
Tiny Terror

Post by kars0747 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:34 pm

Hi Nick, I just add a little (10-15%)low end on the amp (around 2 o´clock on the bass knob now) and I do not miss a thing. I guess it all depends how loud you can play with the band. I often find a 50, 40 or 30 watt amp to be way too loud for my needs and I can not recommend experiencing with yellow jackets enough. It is the second time I´ve done it with an amp , and both times I am blown away by the result