Tiny Terror Hard Wired - no sound

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

langmurf
Rocker

Tiny Terror Hard Wired - no sound

Post by langmurf » Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:26 pm

Was playing my TT about 15 minutes ago. Everything fine. Switched to another amp for about five minutes then went back to TT and... no sound.

Just noticed that the pre's don't seem to be getting power. The EL-34's are lighting up and getting warm but the pre's don't appear to be lighting up and are not getting warm/hot after a few minutes of uptime. They are "lit" though... I can see glowing bits in the pre's. And they are warming up, but just slightly, I'd say.

I anticipate a trip to Orange's HQ here in ATL but thought I'd throw this up to see if anyone has any suggestions to isolate the root cause.

TIA,

Lang
Orange Rocker 15 Combo, Orange Two Stroke
2007 Gibson Melody Maker; Cort Steinberger

langmurf
Rocker

Re: Tiny Terror Hard Wired - no sound

Post by langmurf » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:48 pm

Rory at Orange got me straightened out. He told me to replace the fuses because sometimes a fuse is blown when it looks fine. I couldn't find a 250mA fuse locally, so I figured out (thanks to YouTube) how to test fuses with a Multimeter and, yep, the 250mA fuse was bad.

Absolutely great customer support in the USA from Orange; quick and respectful responses to emails. Very happy Orange owner.

fiveightandten
Orange Master

Post by fiveightandten » Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:53 pm

It's pretty rare for a fuse to blow without any root cause. Fuses are not parts, they're safety valves that protect parts by blowing when too much current is drawn through them.

If it blows again, I'd replace the EL-84s, as that's usually the cause.

-Nick
'71 GRO100 || '96 OR-80 || AD30 || '64 AC-50 || AC-30TBX || Hiwatt DR504 || HI-TONE HT30
LP Standard || LP Studio || LP Custom Lite || Ric 620 || Ric 360 || MIA Tele || SG 61 RI

langmurf
Rocker

Post by langmurf » Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:52 am

Turned out the PI tube had "gone wrong" in some way that was causing the power tubes to have a fit. (Apologies for the non-techie explanation.) Got a new PI tube and 2 new power tubes and the amp is back, good as new, if not better.

fiveightandten
Orange Master

Post by fiveightandten » Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:17 am

langmurf wrote:Turned out the PI tube had "gone wrong" in some way that was causing the power tubes to have a fit. (Apologies for the non-techie explanation.) Got a new PI tube and 2 new power tubes and the amp is back, good as new, if not better.
Excellent, glad to hear it's back in action.

-Nick
'71 GRO100 || '96 OR-80 || AD30 || '64 AC-50 || AC-30TBX || Hiwatt DR504 || HI-TONE HT30
LP Standard || LP Studio || LP Custom Lite || Ric 620 || Ric 360 || MIA Tele || SG 61 RI

langmurf
Rocker

Post by langmurf » Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:36 am

fiveightandten wrote:
langmurf wrote:Turned out the PI tube had "gone wrong" in some way that was causing the power tubes to have a fit. (Apologies for the non-techie explanation.) Got a new PI tube and 2 new power tubes and the amp is back, good as new, if not better.
Excellent, glad to hear it's back in action.

-Nick
Me too, Nick! Love this amp!