How Good is the Last version of the Tiny Terror ?

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

Mezzamort

How Good is the Last version of the Tiny Terror ?

Post by Mezzamort » Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:55 pm

I would just like to know how good the last Tiny Terror,s sitting in the stores are ? I mean they are all chinese made will they last are they dependable can they take it for years to come are they a good buy ?
"And in the end the love you take is equal to the love you make "Lennon & McCartney "Imagine all the people living in the world in peace " John Lennon !

Bensnake
Orange Master

Re: How Good is the Last version of the Tiny Terror ?

Post by Bensnake » Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:24 pm

Excellent quality IMO. I recently bought a TT and it works great and is the most hum free of all my amps. No reason to believe it's not reliable. And all TT's were made in China except for the HW edition. Go for it. :D
RV100 MKIII | '75 OR120 | OR100 | OR50 | CS50 | R30H | TT
2 x PPC412
Bax B. | Amp D.

Marshall 1959 HW + 1936V
Fender '65 Super Reverb Reissue
Vox AC30C2X + V212C

Playing Les Pauls and Teles...

Ronnie Robinson
Orange Master

Post by Ronnie Robinson » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:12 pm

As good old as they all were I'm sure. Reliable with excellent cruch tones. Why would you think they might be any different?
Orange AD30 HTC
Orange Rocker 15 terror
Orange Tiny Terror HW,
Fender elite Start, Gibson SG 61,fender telecaster

Previously Owned - Rocker 30

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:17 pm

Bensnake wrote:Excellent quality IMO. I recently bought a TT and it works great and is the most hum free of all my amps. No reason to believe it's not reliable. And all TT's were made in China except for the HW edition. Go for it. :D
I suppose the early ones were made in Korea, but I'm really nit picking here.
I believe that beside resale value there isn't much difference.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:17 am

I recently bought a new Tiny Terror. Had one a long time ago when they first went to China for production. I think they're better made now then before, some changes have taken place over the years. I've opened mine up for mods and some things have changed in the construction for the better. PCB is now vented around the tube sockets to prevent heat build up, theres a hum balance trim pot for the filaments to manage filament hum. Not sure if it's just mine, but the cathode resistor on the power tubes is a higher value to get more life out of the tubes. On mine this resistor looks like it was swapped with the original choke resistor value of 150 ohms, choke is now 120 ohms which used to be 150 ohms. I say on mine because I'm not sure if this was intended or a mistake, but I think it is better that way. A common mod to the original Tiny Terrors was upping the cathode resistor to around 150-160 ohms. One simple thing that I think should be done is pull the heater wire connectors off, twist the wires and reconnect them. They aren't twisted at the factory (mine weren't anyways), it can be a source of hum if they are not twisted.

Mezzamort

Post by Mezzamort » Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:28 pm

What year was yours made ?
"And in the end the love you take is equal to the love you make "Lennon & McCartney "Imagine all the people living in the world in peace " John Lennon !