Using the Orange CR3 Micro Crush PiX as portable speaker

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

dflipp

Using the Orange CR3 Micro Crush PiX as portable speaker

Post by dflipp » Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:55 pm

So, I recently started a new project with a band and took all my “Heavy Orange Rig" to the rehearsal space. I bought the Orange CR3 Micro Crush PiX, just to keep me busy fiddling with the guitar at home, while on the couch or relaxing in the garden…

I read somewhere (?!) it can work as a portable speaker for other applications, such as having a laptop/mp3 player/phone being the sound source. Is this correct? I think it should work, probably. I would like that, yes. It would broaden its usage. Is there "anything technical" against doing this?

I understand I do need some kind of adapter, to connect such a device to the “1/4 jack input”...

What do I need? Which adapter would you recommend? Is there something Orange sells? If not, would you please tell me the technical specifications and brand and model I should look for? I want the "right stuff" so I can have the best audio quality possible.

Let me know.

Thanks in advance!

Sooner
Orange Master

Re: Using the Orange CR3 Micro Crush PiX as portable speaker

Post by Sooner » Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:33 pm

Something like this should work with an iphone for example:
https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-Metal- ... F4+adapter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Any brand will do. Doesn't need to be gold plated...

You'll want to start out with a low volume on the phone and adjust between the amp and phone to get the best sound. Turning up the phone too loud will likely result in an overdriven distorted sound.
Sooner
AD1512 Serial No. 001

dflipp

Re: Using the Orange CR3 Micro Crush PiX as portable speaker

Post by dflipp » Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:09 pm

Sooner wrote:Something like this should work with an iphone for example:
https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-Metal- ... F4+adapter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Any brand will do. Doesn't need to be gold plated...

You'll want to start out with a low volume on the phone and adjust between the amp and phone to get the best sound. Turning up the phone too loud will likely result in an overdriven distorted sound.
Hey! Thanks for you help and reply. That volume tip is spot-on! I'm thinking a 6.35 to 3.5 mono cable... Let me know if you can find me a quality one!

Thanks in advance!

Greetings,

Daniel