Rockerverb 50 mkIII half and full mode sound the same?

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

Csbarrera

Rockerverb 50 mkIII half and full mode sound the same?

Post by Csbarrera » Sun Dec 25, 2016 5:01 pm

So I've been told that the difference between 30 watts and 50 watts isn't much, and that it is mostly effecting head room. However, when I switch my amp from half to full, I don't notice a difference in tone or volume. I've asked several other people to listen for any differences and no one has been able to say they can tell the modes apart. The amp is fairly new but past the zzounds warranty period.
Just curious to hear from other mkIII users if this is normal or if i have defected unit. The tone sounds great regardless but I'm wondering if I'm missing out on anything.
I did notice that the first time i played with my band i had to crank the master volume further than I usually do when I use my vox ac50cp2 combo. So maybe it's only running on 30 watts?
Thank you in advance for any information you can offer!

Marcos

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Re: Rockerverb 50 mkIII half and full mode sound the same?

Post by Les Paul Lover » Sun Dec 25, 2016 9:09 pm

To be honest, in my opinion, the difference between 30w and 50w is almost nothing. They are both loud, and you'll have just a touch more headroom in 50w mode, but that's even hard to notice really.

As for the master volume, don't judge them on how you set them for the same volume..... you need to judge it with both amps fully cranked, which isn't really practical as all your neighbours are calling the police and your ears start bleeding.

I believe orange make better use of the master pot sweep, and most of the volume adds on later on in the sweep. With some other amp makers, you get most volume from 10/11 o'clock and not much after. That's why to compare them, you need to run them wide open.

And to be honest, your vox will have more high end, and the treble will feel louder at the same volume.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute