RV100 MkI

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

SixStrings9Lives

RV100 MkI

Post by SixStrings9Lives » Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:06 pm

Greetings!

Picked up a pre-owned RV100 MkI and when I got it home, it would produce a loud static noise when going from standby to play. It mainly happens when first turned on even if I allow it to warm up for an extended period of time. I took it to a local tech who has been unable to repair it. He first thought the switch was arcing, but came back and later said it has something to do with the way the three way switch operates between off/on/standby. Also said that the only way to properly repair would be drilling the chassis and adding a second switch making one a designated power and a second for standby.

My big question is why couldn't he just replace with the proper switch the way the amp was built? Any ideas or suggestions on what I should do? There are no authorized repair facilities in my area, and shipping it would be too expensive.

Thanks,
Steve

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Re: RV100 MkI

Post by Les Paul Lover » Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:54 pm

Welcome aboard Steve!

Does that static noise increase with the volume the amp is set at?
Does it happen only once, or does it happen again if you keep switching it from stand-by to on several times?

Have you tried some electrical contact cleaner in the switch?
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:56 pm

By the way, the 3 way switch works perfectly - your tech is talking rubbish on this occasion.
Ant

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

SixStrings9Lives

Post by SixStrings9Lives » Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:39 pm

It's pretty loud no matter what the volume is set. I always have it on zero to start with. It is kind of intermittent. If I play for a while after it first does it, it wont always happen. Also the reverb was toast. So far everything on it checks out excluding the pan. He says it could be due to it being mounted over the transformer. Supposedly he has talked with a certified Orange tech who told him about the supposed design flaw of the power switch and the reverb pan. I don't know the whole story yet, but will get the amp back in a couple days. I'll try to upload a clip I took of it acting up when I get home later.

Thanks for your help so far!

SixStrings9Lives

Post by SixStrings9Lives » Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:31 am

Here is a short clip. The noise happens as soon as I go from standby to play. The "reverb" of the noise is actually from the unit in the loop, not the amp reverb - it was non-functioning at the time.

Thanks again!

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:25 pm

SixStrings9Lives wrote:Here is a short clip. The noise happens as soon as I go from standby to play. The "reverb" of the noise is actually from the unit in the loop, not the amp reverb - it was non-functioning at the time.

Thanks again!

Strange noise.

Let's clear that up - once that noise has happened, and you stay in ON mode, that noise doesn't happen anymore?

In any case, I very much doubt it's your switch the noise clearly stops after a few times. If your switch was damaged, it would happen every time, if it was a little dirty (again, it wouldn't hurt to put some contact cleaner in there and flick the switch repeatedly while the amp is totally switched off) and using it was getting it better, the noise you hear would have reduced with time too.

You see, when you are in stand-by mode, not much current goes through the circuit of the amp beside the valve heaters.

Once you are on on mode, everything gets fully switched on, and some components are meant to filter the noises that can occur then. Here, I would think either a resistor or capacitor meant to act as filter isn't doing its job properly anymore, or or another one that isnt a filter isn't working properly and introduces an extra noise when it get full current.

Beyond that, I'm no help I'm afraid. And even that probably wasn't much help at all!!!!
Ant

jontheid
Orange Expert

Post by jontheid » Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:55 pm

This sounds a bit a bit of arcing in the tubes when first switched from standby into 'on'.

Try switching the amp on in a dark room and see if you can see anything.

The other thing you could try is not using standby mode at at, just going from off to full on.
You don't really need standby switches.
http://blacklodgeamps.tumblr.com/post/9 ... nd-by-myth" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cheers,
Jon

jontheid
Orange Expert

Post by jontheid » Fri Dec 16, 2016 6:16 pm

What output tubes do you have in there?
They look like KT66 or KT88

SixStrings9Lives

Post by SixStrings9Lives » Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:55 pm

Got it back from the tech last night. It is fixed for now, minus needing to replace the reverb pan. I'll do that eventually as I use the loop for verb/ fx. He did say I could remove the reverb tube if I wanted. If I turn the reverb up as it is now, it seems to introduce more high end and no verb at all.

The power tubes are KT88 Genalex Gold Lion and the pre amp are Mullard.

Maurice_0815

Post by Maurice_0815 » Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:12 pm

Hi, Steve,

I have the same problem on my TH30. Unfortunally my tech couldn't fix it. I'd glad if you tell me how you or your tech support fixed the problem.

SixStrings9Lives

Post by SixStrings9Lives » Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:54 pm

Maurice_0815 wrote:Hi, Steve,

I have the same problem on my TH30. Unfortunally my tech couldn't fix it. I'd glad if you tell me how you or your tech support fixed the problem.

Sorry Maurice, I just saw this. I'm not too sure what all he did other than cleaning up a previous repair and maybe one of my tube sockets was a bit loose. Wish I could be of more help. TH30 is an awesome amp - I use mine right along side of the RV, and in situations where the RV is just too much. If I had to choose between them, I'd not miss the RV or it's additional weight.