TT needs new valves.

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

paul11

TT needs new valves.

Post by paul11 » Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:51 am

Hi all I am the 2nd or 3rd owner of my Tiny Terror it must be 10 years old and I don't think it has ever had a new set of valves. It's started to sound very thin and no where near the volume it should have and I have been told it's time for a new set of valves. I know nothing about valves so can anyone recommend a set, I looked at Watford valves https://www.watfordvalves.com/product_d ... sp?id=2235" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; thy do this set of Harma valves would they be ok maybe something else. At £75 with delivery they are a lot of money or is that about right, thanks Paul.

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Re: TT needs new valves.

Post by Jondog » Sat Dec 10, 2016 3:28 am

My personal favorites are Electro Harmonix, or Mesa Boogie branded valves. That price sounds a bit high. Check out pricing for two ECC83/12AX7 tubes and a matched pair of EL84's from Electro Harmonix. On that website it's about 43 before shipping.

paul11

Post by paul11 » Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:55 am

Thanks, are all tubes more or less the same or does the tone vary a lot.

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:16 am

paul11 wrote:Thanks, are all tubes more or less the same or does the tone vary a lot.
Each type of tube is quite different from the others - EL84 vs 6V6. But from one brand (and even individual valve) to the next of the same type, the general sound is somewhat the same but with different levels of clarity, noise, breakup and construction quality.

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Sat Dec 10, 2016 3:39 pm

paul11 wrote:Thanks, are all tubes more or less the same or does the tone vary a lot.

Harma valves are the Watford valves own brand of valves.

I've had them in an amp, they were good. I've also had JJ, TAD, some nos Zaerix.... All Good .
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

paul11

Post by paul11 » Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:38 pm

Thanks again guys so any of the named makes will be ok. There has been another development, I rang GAK today to order a Gibson Les Paul for a mate for his boy for Christmas. As I was spending 2.5k I asked the nice man if he could do me an obscene deal on an OR15 as my TT had gone bang and he did and gave me a good deal on the Gibson so they both arrive on Tuesday. GAK always do the best deals, great company, I know I was weak but I have been looking at the OR for months and everyone seems to like them. I've never played the OR but I pretty sure I will like it and if so I will sell the TT.

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:12 pm

paul11 wrote:Thanks again guys so any of the named makes will be ok. There has been another development, I rang GAK today to order a Gibson Les Paul for a mate for his boy for Christmas. As I was spending 2.5k I asked the nice man if he could do me an obscene deal on an OR15 as my TT had gone bang and he did and gave me a good deal on the Gibson so they both arrive on Tuesday. GAK always do the best deals, great company, I know I was weak but I have been looking at the OR for months and everyone seems to like them. I've never played the OR but I pretty sure I will like it and if so I will sell the TT.
Even though I live in the US, I have to say GAK is one of my favorite music stores! Glad to hear they cut you a sweet deal! I think you'll love the OR15...

paul11

Post by paul11 » Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:27 pm

Thanks looking forward to it.

Ronnie Robinson
Orange Master

Post by Ronnie Robinson » Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:43 am

That's brilliant, merry Christmas!

Harman valves are good, I've just them in the past but overpriced imo. I use Ehx or tungsol all good .
Orange AD30 HTC
Orange Rocker 15 terror
Orange Tiny Terror HW,
Fender elite Start, Gibson SG 61,fender telecaster

Previously Owned - Rocker 30

paul11

Post by paul11 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:53 am

Thanks for that can you tell me the best place in the UK to get the valves from.

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Sun Dec 11, 2016 2:56 pm

paul11 wrote:Thanks for that can you tell me the best place in the UK to get the valves from.

I've used hotrox in the past. Their valves packaging was really good, and their prices pretty keen too.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

paul11

Post by paul11 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:52 pm

Thanks I will take a look.

PBA
Rocker

Post by PBA » Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:52 am

I'm sure you will like the OR15. I certainly do. Do remember though that it too is a valve amp - and appears to have more valves! It is likely to be shipped with JJ valves, which are perfectly good. The most likely valves to fail are the power valves. It's usually good to have a matched pair available BEFORE they fail. You'd need 2 EL84s and have the luxury of taking a while to chose the brand you fancy trying. Replacing is easy and unless you think there is another problem, you don't need a amp tech. A real advantage of having spare valves is that on those days when you aren't feeling inspired by your amp tone, you can pop open the back and do a swap. I nearly always find it's me rather than the amp :oops:

Pre-amp valves are longer lived but have a greater influence on the way the amp sounds. Don't expect massive changes between valves but you are likely to be able to hear some difference. The OR15 has 3 12AX7s and 1 12AT7. It's worth getting at least one spare 12AX7 to swap through the three sockets for problem chasing. The 12AT 7 is, I think, the effects loop - other can confirm... I suspect it wouldn't be a highly stressed valve.

Watford valves have a good selection. Hotrox tend to be a little cheaper.

Good luck!

paul11

Post by paul11 » Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:03 am

PBA wrote:I'm sure you will like the OR15. I certainly do. Do remember though that it too is a valve amp - and appears to have more valves! It is likely to be shipped with JJ valves, which are perfectly good. The most likely valves to fail are the power valves. It's usually good to have a matched pair available BEFORE they fail. You'd need 2 EL84s and have the luxury of taking a while to chose the brand you fancy trying. Replacing is easy and unless you think there is another problem, you don't need a amp tech. A real advantage of having spare valves is that on those days when you aren't feeling inspired by your amp tone, you can pop open the back and do a swap. I nearly always find it's me rather than the amp :oops:

Pre-amp valves are longer lived but have a greater influence on the way the amp sounds. Don't expect massive changes between valves but you are likely to be able to hear some difference. The OR15 has 3 12AX7s and 1 12AT7. It's worth getting at least one spare 12AX7 to swap through the three sockets for problem chasing. The 12AT 7 is, I think, the effects loop - other can confirm... I suspect it wouldn't be a highly stressed valve.

Watford valves have a good selection. Hotrox tend to be a little cheaper.

Good luck!
Thanks a lot for taking the time to write that it's very helpful. I opened up the TT and it has JJs in it, as I liked the tone it had I ordered a set and put then in and it sounds great again. I will order a set for the OR, should I stay with the JJs or is anything else worth a try.

paul11

Post by paul11 » Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:48 pm

Here she is with my home made Les Paul. https://www.flickr.com/photos/51461306@ ... ed-public/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;