Tiny Terror led dimming

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

fronterota

Tiny Terror led dimming

Post by fronterota » Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:52 pm

Hello guys!

Currently i'm using an tiny terror with one 1x12 cab, the outlet on my country runs around 117v and my head have the 115/230 switch, right now i dont see any kind of problem with that. The only problem i have is that when i'm playing, my power led keeps dimming in different intensities and i can see that there is no pattern at all, it seems that it even doesnt have any connection with playing or the volume/gain i set it up.

Right now i want to know if this is some tipe of expected behaviour from the tiny terror or something i should check on.

Thanks!

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Re: Tiny Terror led dimming

Post by Les Paul Lover » Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:51 pm

No, this isn't normal.

The power light bulb is fed by the same circuit that feeds the valve heater circuit, at around 6.3v.

If you are lucky, your light bulb is simply on the way out.
Perhaps your power supply isn't constant, and the variation in current at the wall plug mean you have variation in your amp too. I would expect this to be audible though.

Otherwise it means there might be a more serious issue with your amp, perhaps with your transformer.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

fronterota

Post by fronterota » Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:20 am

Les Paul Lover wrote:No, this isn't normal.

The power light bulb is fed by the same circuit that feeds the valve heater circuit, at around 6.3v.

If you are lucky, your light bulb is simply on the way out.
Perhaps your power supply isn't constant, and the variation in current at the wall plug mean you have variation in your amp too. I would expect this to be audible though.

Otherwise it means there might be a more serious issue with your amp, perhaps with your transformer.
Talking about being audible, i sensed it doesn't crank the same gain up as before, the smart to do way is, take to some tech guy and analyze it?

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:50 pm

How long have you had the amp for? Have you used it a lot ?

If you haven't replaced the valves yet, it might be that they are worse for wear by now. You could always order a set a valves (and why not a light bulb?) and replace the valves yourself to see if that helps. If it doesn't, it's always good to have a spare set of valves in any case.

If that doesn't fix it, bringing it to a tech is the best option.

Currents are fairly stable in most places these days, and u expect if your house was subject to current fluctuations, you would know about it through your house lighting.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute