Foot Switch Mod

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

weasel12

Foot Switch Mod

Post by weasel12 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:04 am

Hey everyone,
I decided I wanted to downsize the footprint of my FS 1 footswitch for my TH30. I bought a chassis half the size of the TS 1 and just removed the guts from the TS 1 to re use, I took the LED, Footswitch, and Input jack off the circuit board, what I'm confused about is wiring the type of input jack that is used in the FS 1, I have tried several different wiring combinations but have unsuccessful in getting the switch to work. Does anyone have diagram or pictures of doing what I am doing? I have seen the diagrams and pics of using mono input jacks but none using the parts out of the FS 1 switch itself. I took some pics but cant upload them. Thanks for the help in advance.

Matt G

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Re: Foot Switch Mod

Post by Jondog » Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:09 am

That's an expensive mod.

Phlowen
Rocker

Post by Phlowen » Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:57 pm

I did this same thing back before they made the FS2. Just made two small FS1s so I could control both the channel and reverb of my RV.

What I did varies slightly from Jondog's schematic: the resistor is on the negative side of the LED instead of the positive (doesn't matter) and I didn't hard wire the middle and right poles of the switch together like he does (shouldn't matter in this case...a short is a short).

Neither of these variances should make any difference...it's been several years now so I don't remember why mine differs (if there was a reason at all), but here's what mine looks like:

Follow either Jondog's or this one above, and you should be good to go.
RV 50 MKI | TH30 | RV 50 MKIII
G&L Tele (ASAT Classic) | Musicman Bongo 5
Anesthesia - Post-Rock/Ambient band - anesthesiaproject.com

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:33 pm

It was a long time ago I did that drawing. Those poles aren't actually soldered. I think I was just drawing the internal connection of the switch for my own reference.

weasel12

Post by weasel12 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:33 am

Thanks guys. Being kinda new at this electrical thing I thought all the poles were soldered together based on the pictures and thats how I have mine so that could be the issue. I will redo it as soon as I get home tomorrow and see what happens. The jack has three lugs on each side, do the lugs need to be connected together or just a wire from one of the lugs in contact with the sleeve and the other in contact with the tip? Thanks.

Phlowen
Rocker

Post by Phlowen » Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:56 pm

If they're ALL soldered together your switch is basically always off.

Here's how to think about it. Flip the switch upside down so you see the lugs and orient it with the long sides up and down (so you have three lugs pointing up, and three lugs pointing down...see pictures...don't mind the melted plastic...this switch has seen better days) Think of the lugs as pairs on either side of the switch...so you have the top left + bottom left lug as a pair (#1), the top-middle and bottom-middle as a pair(#2), and the top-right and bottom-right as a pair (#3).

Basically, the way the switch works is by internally connecting pair #2 with either pair #1 or #3.

You should connect the lugs of each pair together (1 to 1, 2 to 2, 3 to 3) (like the drawings in the previous posts). Then the other two connections (one from the sleeve side, the other from the tip side) only need to be soldered to one of the lugs. (Sleeve to lug 2, tip to lug 1) as shown below:

You can also connect pairs #2 and #3 together (like Jondog's drawing...this is how orange does it I believe), but you don't HAVE to. As I said before, I didn't do this last step and mine works just fine.
RV 50 MKI | TH30 | RV 50 MKIII
G&L Tele (ASAT Classic) | Musicman Bongo 5
Anesthesia - Post-Rock/Ambient band - anesthesiaproject.com