Retro 50 Schem.

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

timboardman
Orange Expert

Post by timboardman » Sun Oct 23, 2005 10:55 pm

i thought they still made the retro... til the end of the year? When i spoke to Ade.Emsley on the phone, I thought he said he was making one, but that could have been me mis-hearing him.

Bluz57
Prince of Orange

Post by Bluz57 » Sun Oct 23, 2005 11:02 pm

[quote]<i>Originally posted by timboardman</i>
<br />basically because i'm not playing the nicest venues, and i've had a couple of friends on the circuit who have had their heads stolen from the backstage area, or someone put a pickaxe through the side of their van and made off with their amps and guitars. so i'd quite like to have an amp that sounded like my retro 50, without the worry about the fact it was my actual amp that was worth a lot of money and in a bit of danger..

Unfortunately you have to keep all your equipment under close watch at all times. The Tele does double real well as a weapon!
Paint it blue 4 soul.

timboardman
Orange Expert

Post by timboardman » Sun Oct 23, 2005 11:41 pm

i also figure with oranges it takes three people to steal them as they're so heavy. ( this is more applicable to my 8x10 and bouncer horn cabinet than my heads, to be fair )

Ade Emsley
Forum Admin

Post by Ade Emsley » Tue Nov 01, 2005 11:35 am

Unless you have much time on your hands, all of the correct metalwork, correct transformers, caps, resistors etc and use the exact same wire and lead dress, the amp will sound different! You will also spend as much money (or more) as you paid for the Retro 50 you already own!

timboardman
Orange Expert

Post by timboardman » Tue Nov 01, 2005 12:08 pm

how disapointing. is there a schematic about, though, because I figure when I give it a service my tech might like one? (not being a tech, I don't really know, but I'd reckon it's quite important)

Ade Emsley
Forum Admin

Post by Ade Emsley » Tue Nov 01, 2005 4:35 pm

The only problem with a Retro or AD 50 that I have ever heard of was a shorted output tube resulting in a blown HT fuse! There was only one case that I know of and that was your amp back when the dealer still owned it! If your tech is unable to trouble shoot a Retro 50 in less than 15 mins you need to find a new tech!
Feel free to call me at Orange if you get any problems with your Retro 50 and I will be more than happy to help!
The passages I`ve just read in this thread prove to me that It was the right decision not to publish the schematics for the custom shop amps and even if I did not work for Orange, I would not want any compromised copies of any of my designs being built, not to mention the breech of copyright laws!

Ade Emsley

Orange Amps

timboardman
Orange Expert

Post by timboardman » Thu Nov 03, 2005 1:14 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Ade Emsley</i>
<br />The only problem with a Retro or AD 50 that I have ever heard of was a shorted output tube resulting in a blown HT fuse! There was only one case that I know of and that was your amp back when the dealer still owned it! <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Is that why mine came with a set of Groove Tubes in it?

Following on from this:
'basically because i'm not playing the nicest venues, and i've had a couple of friends on the circuit who have had their heads stolen from the backstage area'

One of the local venues to me had theives go in through their skylight, get a chainsaw out, remove the (full) safe, and then wheel the safe out of the fire doors.. the night after a show.

fiveightandten
Orange Master

Post by fiveightandten » Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:37 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Ade Emsley</i>
<br />The only problem with a Retro or AD 50 that I have ever heard of was a shorted output tube resulting in a blown HT fuse! There was only one case that I know of and that was your amp back when the dealer still owned it! If your tech is unable to trouble shoot a Retro 50 in less than 15 mins you need to find a new tech!
Feel free to call me at Orange if you get any problems with your Retro 50 and I will be more than happy to help!
The passages I`ve just read in this thread prove to me that It was the right decision not to publish the schematics for the custom shop amps and even if I did not work for Orange, I would not want any compromised copies of any of my designs being built, not to mention the breech of copyright laws!

Ade Emsley

Orange Amps
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">Ade,

Do you guys still make the Retro 50? I was under the impression that no custom shop amps were being made anymore, which is why I didn't think it would be completely out of the question for him to want to clone one for himself. Granted if it were me, paying that much for an amp...you better bet i'd be using it!

In all honesty, you have every right to withhold the schematics to the amps you design. But if people want to know, they're going to find out, one way or another. Look at all the Dumble schematics floating around...and that guy had people sign a disclaimer that they won't open the chassis up, or let anyone but him work on the amp. If an amp sounds good, people want to know what makes it tick. Not necessiarily to reproduce it...but just out of sheer curiousity as well. I'd take it as a compliment. When I saw an OTR schematic, I tried a lot of the changes in my OR-80 out of curiousity. I wanted to see what they sounded like.

<br />You will also spend as much money (or more) as you paid for the Retro 50 you already own!<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
I'm not sure that's true ;)
http://www.humbuckermusic.com/orre50hecush.html

..But if you're still making those amps, it's definitely not ethical for anyone to clone one anyways.

-Nick
'71 GRO100 || '96 OR-80 || AD30 || '64 AC-50 || AC-30TBX || Hiwatt DR504 || HI-TONE HT30
LP Standard || LP Studio || LP Custom Lite || Ric 620 || Ric 360 || MIA Tele || SG 61 RI

irish_admiral
Prince of Orange

Post by irish_admiral » Thu Nov 03, 2005 11:35 pm

Still making them, but not for too much longer...
Joe

G(sus) saves

Orange AD15, Matamp 1224, Fender 'JD' Tele, G&L ASAT, Duesenberg Starplayer TV, Eggle Kanuga, Avalon D25, Warwick FNA Jazzman, Eden Nemesis / Bergantino EX112S, Eastman MD305 & other stuff...