Anyone have any idea how to fix headphones?

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

shedivineswater

Anyone have any idea how to fix headphones?

Post by shedivineswater » Tue Nov 15, 2016 6:39 pm

I got a nice pair of open back Sennheisers.... finally stepping up for mixing. And, shortly after the Ebay purchase I'm not able to hear them in stereo.... each (right and left) works but they won't work together. I've looked at the connections and I have no idea what to do.... or could it be something else. I can't see anything obviously wrong. Thanks in advance.

MikeD
Orange Expert

Re: Anyone have any idea how to fix headphones?

Post by MikeD » Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:37 pm

shedivineswater wrote:I got a nice pair of open back Sennheisers.... finally stepping up for mixing. And, shortly after the Ebay purchase I'm not able to hear them in stereo.... each (right and left) works but they won't work together. I've looked at the connections and I have no idea what to do.... or could it be something else. I can't see anything obviously wrong. Thanks in advance.
Just stating the obvious but:

A. double check in another stereo system (console)
B. if you have a tip on it transforming it from3.5 to tele check that its good and that you haven´t switched it for a mono (did that myself once)

Since both earphones still work my money is on the console and not the earphones.
Gibson: Angus Young SG 03 / LP Standard 05 / Firebird V 01
Orange: RV50 mkII & ppc212-c / Micro Dark & ppc112 / TH30 Combo

shedivineswater

Post by shedivineswater » Sat Nov 26, 2016 4:20 pm

I fixed them! One of the ears wires were connected to both the right and the left. So, if one had a mono source they would get sound out of both ears. Not so good for mixing a stereo source obviously as the mix was totally lopsided. I disconnected the one wire and attached it to the ground and presto, all is perfect. The downside of my soldering is that it is so chunky that I can't put the metal cover back on without touching wires and screwing the sound up. But, it works fine without the cover and with the polls just spread apart so they don't touch. Also, one burnt finger and two little burnt marks on the kitchen tile. Overall success. Yay me! These small achievements really brighten my day.

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Sun Nov 27, 2016 1:39 am

Well that's good they work. You should get a solder pump or wick and clean up the solder. You just need to quickly touch the joint quickly with solder while the iron is on it. Let the iron heat up the joint 2-3 seconds first. Too much solder is worse than just enough, especially on a wire that moves a lot.

Phlowen
Rocker

Post by Phlowen » Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:44 pm

You can also wrap one in electrical tape if you're worried about the two touching again.
RV 50 MKI | TH30 | RV 50 MKIII
G&L Tele (ASAT Classic) | Musicman Bongo 5
Anesthesia - Post-Rock/Ambient band - anesthesiaproject.com