Micro Dark Mods???

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

ThisDyingSoul76

Micro Dark Mods???

Post by ThisDyingSoul76 » Sun Nov 06, 2016 12:43 am

Hi all, I'm new to the forum and to Orange amps.

I decided to get a Micro Dark because I needed a low volume amp.

So far, I'm impressed... Sounds great at low volumes but is also surprisingly loud.

However, I'm curious if there are any mods out there for the Micro Dark? Not that it needs changing, but I'm curious of the possibilities. I've scoured the Internet for a few weeks now and found mods for the Micro a Terror, but not the Micro Dark.

Is there anything beyond just changing the preamp tube?

ThisDyingSoul76

Re: Micro Dark Mods???

Post by ThisDyingSoul76 » Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:22 am

<crickets chirping>

I guess that's a no on the mods?

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:57 pm

There's not much talk of mods here, especially the Micro Dark. I mess around with mods, but not familiar with the Micro Dark. Important thing with modding is you need to know what you're trying to achieve first, in order to give a place to start.

pedecamp
Orange Hero

Post by pedecamp » Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:27 pm

I cant imagine modding one of those micro amps, cant think of any reason to. Only thing I can think of is maybe have two so one can be set clean and the other set dirty and use a AB switch between them.
Thunderverb 50

Waspfactor

Post by Waspfactor » Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:34 am

You can use the MD as a preamp and put a valve amp power section in the loop.Presto.a cracking all valve amp with extreme loudosity.Also you gotta lose the JJ tube.I settled on Groove Tube 12AX7 C-6.

icarusi

Post by icarusi » Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:05 pm

I have the Micro Terror and Micro Dark. When I looked inside the MT, the power amp chip was a stereo item capable of more power if run at a higher voltage. Assuming the MD uses the same chip, it would probably need more heat sinking, and/or fan cooling, and component changes around the chip, to keep the valve etc. at the original values, but there's potentially more power available, IIRC up to 90w stereo.

rocketsquawk

Post by rocketsquawk » Sat May 12, 2018 5:48 pm

Waspfactor wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:34 am
You can use the MD as a preamp and put a valve amp power section in the loop.Presto.a cracking all valve amp with extreme loudosity.Also you gotta lose the JJ tube.I settled on Groove Tube 12AX7 C-6.
Just to be nerdy and pedantic and make sure no one unthinkingly patches a power amp into the send and return of their effects loop, watch this video to understand what Waspfactor is saying: Bypass Your Solid-State Power Section.

Basically, you can go from the SEND of the Micro Dark to the RETURN of an all-tube amp equipped with an effects loop, thus, bypassing the power amp of the Micro Dark, as well as the preamp section of the second amp.
// Rockerverb MKIII 50 // Rocker 32 // Tiny Terror // 72 Fender Vibrolux // Vox AC30 Custom // 93 Fender Blues Deluxe // Lots of 5E3 homebrews // Various LPs, Strats, Teles, and Gretsch // A gazilllion fuzzes //