Noise problem with Th30 head effects loop

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

mussolo

Noise problem with Th30 head effects loop

Post by mussolo » Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:05 am

Hi guys, I have recently bought a TH30 head, and I'm very happy with it.

I also assembled a pedalboard, and tried running the modulation effects in the loop and the overdrive/distortions in front od the amp.

Actually I am experiencing a problem with the effects loop. It is so noisy!
I tried many solutions (trying every single pedal - buffered, true bypass, digital, analog... - different power supplies, different cables, etc.) but basically the whole amp gets noisy as soon as I connect just one pedal to the effects loop, and the noise doesn't change if I connect the whole pedal chain.
It's my first time with a tube amp, until a month ago I was playing with a whole solid state rack and a digital multi-effect and it was super quiet. I know it's different with tubes.
But I don't know if what I hear is just the "ordinary" noise of a tube amp or if there's some technical issue to solve.
Overall, my TH30 is a silent amp, very quiet on the clean channel and a bit noisy in the dirty one when I turn up the gain knob (but that's normal I guess).
However, the effects loop seems to be noisy in itself, eve though I am using good cables (Planet Waves, Klotz).

The kind of noise I get is a high-tone buzz and a low-tone hum, both constant.

Please help!

pedecamp
Orange Hero

Re: Noise problem with Th30 head effects loop

Post by pedecamp » Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:28 pm

It most likely is dirty fx loop inputs, when I got my TV50 it was only a couple years old and I had the exact problem. The fix was to clean the fx loop inputs, get a can of Deoxit electronic cleaner spray and spray a cable end and insert it in and out of the loop inputs a dozen times or more to clean them. I did this also to all my effects pedal inputs and cleaned all my cable ends then went on to clean all the inputs on the amp, the knob pots, the tube sockets. After everything was clean it not only fixed the fx loop problem but also improved the over all tone of my amp. Make sure not to spray directly into the amp, usually spray onto tube pins and cable ends and insert these repeatedly to clean the amp components. The knob pots youll have to spray into the hole in the back of the pot and turn the knobs back and forth to work them over. You don't have to do all this stuff but at least start with the fx loop inputs and see where that takes you. Good luck with it.
Thunderverb 50

Mystic38
Orange Expert

Post by Mystic38 » Sat Nov 12, 2016 8:19 pm

I have owned a TH30 and its not a "tube amp" issue..I had no noise issues at all using pedals in the loop.

I see nothing in your post that identifies your pedal power supply, and while i agree 100% with Pedecamp's idea to deoxit your sockets... I feel there are other possibilities so...

Have you tried simply putting a pedal cable from FX SEND > FX RETURN?.. If that is fine then try one single pedal that is BATTERY powered in thoe loop, and if that is fine then..

then you have a power supply issue with your pedal board.. look for something with individually isolated outputs, or if you MUST drop multiple pedals off of one output, the pre-amp pedals MUST be on a separate, isolated supply from the isolated supply for the FX loop pedals

cheers
-Ian-

Orange Rocker 30c, PPC212 & PPC112, Fender DRRI, Marshall 2266
2012 Gibson LP Standard, 2001 Gibson LP DC Standard
2009 Fender Am. Standard Strat, 1999 Fender Am. Hardtail Strat
2014 G&L Fallout

***insert great photos of gear here***

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Sat Nov 12, 2016 9:11 pm

Just as Mystic recommends, plug a cable you know works noiselessly at the front of the amp, and plug it from the send to return.

If that's not noisy, you issue isn't with the Fx loop, but with your pedals or power supplies.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Bobe

Post by Bobe » Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:38 pm

I have the same problem. If I put a cable from FX SEND > FX RETURN the noise disappears. If I put a single pedal that is BATTERY powered in the loop or powered with different power supplies then noise starts again. Any ideas?

Thank you

Hubaxe
Orange Expert

Post by Hubaxe » Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:07 pm

Hi, I had the same issue with my TH100. I added a ground loop isolator in the effect loop (with a multifx also) and the noise almost disappeared.

But not sure it's the same issue, if nothing is plugged in the effect loop the amp is silent.