Weird sound on TT when cranked...

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

blacklava

Weird sound on TT when cranked...

Post by blacklava » Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:05 pm

Hi to all the Orange community, first topic here:)

I've recently purchased an used Tiny Terror, my problem is that when I crank up the volume over 12 o clock, I get this weird effect, especially when I do palm mutes:

(first palm mutes are with volume at 12 o clock, the other one is when cranked)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/rt385tedgups5 ... d.mp3?dl=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Tubes are new, I've changed the stock ones with JJs. That weird effect was the same before the tube change.

My question is... is this normal with tiny terror or did I get a faulty unit? A different brand of tubes could solve this issue?

Thanks in advance!

Ronnie Robinson
Orange Master

Re: Weird sound on TT when cranked...

Post by Ronnie Robinson » Tue Oct 25, 2016 5:03 pm

Are you sure thats the amp?
Orange AD30 HTC
Orange Rocker 15 terror
Orange Tiny Terror HW,
Fender elite Start, Gibson SG 61,fender telecaster

Previously Owned - Rocker 30

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Tue Oct 25, 2016 5:56 pm

That decay is strange.

Is it a combo or a head unit?
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:39 pm

That's hard to pin-point to being the head alone. I heard similar sounds that were actually coming off the guitar.

blacklava

Post by blacklava » Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:42 pm

It's the head version, not combo. I've used it both with my mesa 4x12 and also with a cabclone and impulses in my daw. I get the same issue when I go over 12-13 o clock of volume. My guitar is a esp ltd with EMGs, and I havent had any issues of that kind with my dual rectifier.

blacklava

Post by blacklava » Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:06 am

Is there someone in the forum with Tiny terror that can crank the volume to the max to hear if it's an "issue" of all the units?
Adding a choke could solve this kind of weird decay?

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Fri Oct 28, 2016 1:11 pm

I can tell you first hand as I play my TT cranked, I don't hear that sound. Hard to diagnose without having the amp in front of me. If I could compare it to a problem I've had in a tube amp, it would be when I had an amp with bad power supply capacitors. But, it sounded much worse than that and added more of an octavia effect to the signal. Replaced the caps and problem was solved. I'm not saying that's the issue with your amp though.
Last edited by Jondog on Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blacklava

Post by blacklava » Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:05 pm

Jondog wrote:I can tell you first hand as I play my TT cranked, I don't hear that sound. Had to diagnose without having the amp in front of me. If I could compare it to a problem I've had in a tube amp, it would be when I had an amp with bad power supply capacitors. But, it sounded much worse than that and added more of an octavia effect to the signal. Replaced the caps and problem was solved. I'm not saying that's the issue with your amp though.
Thanks alot Jondog, fact is the sound is way better with volume at max, I'll try asking to a local tech for a possible caps replacement.

Ronnie Robinson
Orange Master

Post by Ronnie Robinson » Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:48 am

blacklava wrote:Is there someone in the forum with Tiny terror that can crank the volume to the max to hear if it's an "issue" of all the units?
Adding a choke could solve this kind of weird decay?

I have to the TT HW and there is no issue like this.
Orange AD30 HTC
Orange Rocker 15 terror
Orange Tiny Terror HW,
Fender elite Start, Gibson SG 61,fender telecaster

Previously Owned - Rocker 30

pedecamp
Orange Hero

Post by pedecamp » Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:14 pm

First question, if you crank up loud but clean do you get that same over tone? So this was happening with the old tubes too huh? How close are your pickups to the strings? Do you get this with any other guitars?

Most problems with tube amps are usually tube related. I'd start by cleaning your tube sockets with Deoxit electronic cleaner and all your inputs, might as well lube all your pots too. Check your pickup heights and see if lowering them helps, fret the strings at the last fret and make sure the pickups aren't any closer than 1/16 of an inch. Are these amps self biasing? If not check your bias isn't out of whack. If still having problems then its tech time.
Thunderverb 50

Phlowen
Rocker

Post by Phlowen » Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:01 pm

pedecamp are you getting paid by Deoxit? I'm noticing you seem to prescribe it for every single issue... :lol:
RV 50 MKI | TH30 | RV 50 MKIII
G&L Tele (ASAT Classic) | Musicman Bongo 5
Anesthesia - Post-Rock/Ambient band - anesthesiaproject.com

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:15 pm

Phlowen wrote:pedecamp are you getting paid by Deoxit? I'm noticing you seem to prescribe it for every single issue... :lol:
:lol: I was wondering the same thing.

pedecamp
Orange Hero

Post by pedecamp » Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:31 pm

Phlowen wrote:pedecamp are you getting paid by Deoxit? I'm noticing you seem to prescribe it for every single issue... :lol:
Truth be told several techs told me the same thing, a large majority of amp problems are caused by bad tubes or bad and dirty connections. Dirt and corrosion needs to be cleaned with electronic cleaner and not just any cleaner, they all say to use Deoxit. I've fixed a few of my own amp problems with this spray and was pleasantly surprised how easy it was and saved a lot of money on tech fees. I hope some of you take my advice to heart and experience it for yourselves. I'll keep recommending it as long as it sounds like someone's problem could benefit from it. It's a part of regular preventive amp maintenence to keep things clean. :wink:
Thunderverb 50

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:03 pm

pedecamp wrote:
Truth be told several techs told me the same thing, a large majority of amp problems are caused by bad tubes or bad and dirty connections. Dirt and corrosion needs to be cleaned with electronic cleaner and not just any cleaner, they all say to use Deoxit. I've fixed a few of my own amp problems with this spray and was pleasantly surprised how easy it was and saved a lot of money on tech fees. I hope some of you take my advice to heart and experience it for yourselves. I'll keep recommending it as long as it sounds like someone's problem could benefit from it. It's a part of regular preventive amp maintenence to keep things clean. :wink:
You can overdue it though and it's probably not something you want to do on a regular basis. Too much can actually attract contaminants. Also need to use the right kind for the application. Orange amps are OK, but amps that use different connectors and such can actually be dissolved by some cleaners.

pedecamp
Orange Hero

Post by pedecamp » Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:13 pm

Jondog wrote:
pedecamp wrote:
You can overdue it though and it's probably not something you want to do on a regular basis. Too much can actually attract contaminants. Also need to use the right kind for the application. Orange amps are OK, but amps that use different connectors and such can actually be dissolved by some cleaners.
You're correct Jon, some cleaners can cause damage that's why the techs I've spoken to feel so strongly about using Deoxit over other cleaners, it doesn't cause any damage, short term or long term. And by "regular" I mean whenever you hear crackling or noise from your inputs and knobs or odd noise in your tone, I'm not talking about dousing your amp with it every week LOL.

I have the Deoxit D100 spray, just read the can and it says safe on plastics, improves metal to metal connections, unlimited uses on all electronic equipment.
Last edited by pedecamp on Fri Nov 04, 2016 3:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Thunderverb 50