Assistance with Orange AD30 Twin Channel Combo

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

mikebouvet

Assistance with Orange AD30 Twin Channel Combo

Post by mikebouvet » Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:54 am

Hello Everyone,
My name is Mike and I’m from Los Angeles, CA. I purchased a used Orange AD30 a few months back and have started experiencing issues with the channel switching. First it would only work on channel two, regardless if I utilized the foot switch or the physical channel toggle switch on the top of the amp. Then when I read that a stereo TRS cable was required for the footswitch, I purchased one and it seemed to function perfectly for a couple of weeks. Now the amp only functions on channel one and only if the foot switch is plugged in. I have scoured the internet for a solution and I have tried every possible remedy that was suggested. I purchased a shorter TRS cable after I read Mr. Waller’s post here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1376 in which he stated that it is a problem with the relay switch and corresponding cable: “you will probably find that using a shorter cable may even cure the problem (but not definitely).” However that didn’t seem to do anything.

I would more than appreciate any advice on what I can do to remedy the issue. Everything seems to point to faulty relay switches, which Mr. Waller seemed to confirm in that aforementioned post. Is there a replacement available? I have a professional amplifier repairman at Future Music that could do the certified repair work for me. I just need to tell him what the parts are that need to be replaced, and what they need to be replaced with. Is there a specific relay switch part number that anyone could suggest as a replacement? Additionally, Mr. Waller mentioned that there is a mod that can be done to remedy the problem. Is that something that anyone can advise on? Is there a new footswitch or part that I can purchase to make both channels function again? Please, please, please advise. I spent so much money on the amp cause it was my dream amp and now that it doesn’t function properly, it distresses me enormously! Any help is greatly, greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Re: Assistance with Orange AD30 Twin Channel Combo

Post by Jondog » Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:51 am

It does sound like a relay issue. Your tech should be able to source parts by looking at what's in there or contacting Orange. An Omron G5V-2 DPDT relay might be what is in there, probably 2 of them.

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Re: Assistance with Orange AD30 Twin Channel Combo

Post by bclaire » Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:45 am

You don't use a TRS cable - a regular guitar lead will work.

Try a shorter cable and see if it works then

The next is highly unlikely but check your wall voltage - below a certain voltage it's not going to work period.

PM me your email and I'll send you the pdf of a test procedure I have that may help....