Orange TH 30 with Loadbox/Speaker emulator

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

mussolo

Orange TH 30 with Loadbox/Speaker emulator

Post by mussolo » Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:24 pm

Dear friends,
I have recently bought a Orange TH 30 (head + 1x12 cabinet) and...what a great amp!
However, since I frequently play at home, I was thinking about buying a Cicognani RS200E Powerload.
Most of you may have never heard about this machine, since it is produced by a small Italian boutique that realizes gorgeous amps.
However, it is both a power attenuator and a speaker emulator, it's of a very sound quality and goes for a ridiculous price (125€ new).
However, it has only one 8ohm input and another 8ohm "link" output, I was wondering if:

1- I can connect my TH30 head from one of the two back output to the Cicognani input without this giving any problem to the amp head (I think so, but I wanted some tech guru to confirm this, since I am absolutely ignorant in this field).

2- I can connect my cabinet from the 8ohm Cicogniani output (I don't think so, since my cabinet - an Orange 112 - has only 16ohm inputs, but in this case, too, I wait for advice).

Here are the specs of the Cicognani Powerload : http://www.cicognaniamps.com/manuals/Ma ... RS200E.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Best
Giorgio

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Re: Orange TH 30 with Loadbox/Speaker emulator

Post by Les Paul Lover » Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:52 pm

You should review the Jet City Jettenuator.

Same thing as you describe, however, it can connect to 4, 8 and 16 ohms, has line out and mic sim out.

I've only used it as an attenuator myself, and it is pretty good at that, until, like all attenuators, you attenuate down too much.

Pretty neat piece of gear, and cheaper than the one you're looking at (OK, not by much).
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

mussolo

Post by mussolo » Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:26 pm

Les Paul Lover wrote:You should review the Jet City Jettenuator.

Same thing as you describe, however, it can connect to 4, 8 and 16 ohms, has line out and mic sim out.

I've only used it as an attenuator myself, and it is pretty good at that, until, like all attenuators, you attenuate down too much.

Pretty neat piece of gear, and cheaper than the one you're looking at (OK, not by much).
Hi,
thanks for your reply.
However, I have found a Cicognani used for 80€ and I don't want to loose the opportunity.

Can somebody confirm me that I can safely connect my TH30 head to the 8Ohm input of the Powerload (as if it was a 8ohm speaker) without incurring in any problem?

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:22 pm

It's a mismatch in the OK range for the amp..... But Not ideal.

The attenuator in question might like it a lot less though.

That's why I was pointing at the jettenuator for you, for around €120 new, it's the correct tool for the job.

Another option is to replace the speaker in your cab for an 8ohms speaker. If you want to use it long term, get something that fits properly. That would be my advice.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

pedecamp
Orange Hero

Post by pedecamp » Sun Oct 30, 2016 1:16 pm

mussolo wrote:
Les Paul Lover wrote:You should review the Jet City Jettenuator.

Hi,
thanks for your reply.
However, I have found a Cicognani used for 80€ and I don't want to loose the opportunity.

Can somebody confirm me that I can safely connect my TH30 head to the 8Ohm input of the Powerload (as if it was a 8ohm speaker) without incurring in any problem?
To answer your question, you want to match your connections, 8ohm amp to 8ohm cab or 16ohm amp to 16ohm cab. The only time you can mismatch is if the cab has a higher ohm than the amp, 8ohm amp to 16ohm cab or 4ohm amp to 8ohm cab.
Thunderverb 50