Removing rubber feet (OR15)

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

Gob

Removing rubber feet (OR15)

Post by Gob » Sat Oct 15, 2016 5:44 pm

I've recently gotten a desk for my little bedroom studio. Originally I had my OR15 off to the side, but it'd be much more convenient to have to on the desk, tucked under the top shelf for easier access. It's just shy of sliding right under there but I reckon if I remover the rubber feet on the bottom, it'll be a perfect fit.

I've already taken out out one of the screws, but the rubber foot doesn't seem to budge. I'm hoping it's removable and I don't have to cut anything (probably won't do it if it comes to that), just wondering if anyone else has tired/done this.

Also this is my first post here, did a search and couldn't quite find anything. Apologies if its in the wrong area. (I'm an admin on another forum, so I know that can be a bit annoying at times)

Thanks! :mrgreen:

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Re: Removing rubber feet (OR15)

Post by Jondog » Sat Oct 15, 2016 6:18 pm

Should be removable. Sometimes the glue from the tolex can seep through the seams. You can try heating it with a hairdryer to see if it loosens. Just don't get it too hot that you melt the tolex.

Gob

Post by Gob » Sat Oct 15, 2016 6:32 pm

Jondog wrote:Should be removable. Sometimes the glue from the tolex can seep through the seams. You can try heating it with a hairdryer to see if it loosens. Just don't get it too hot that you melt the tolex.
That's what I've been seeing around other places as well.

Will they go back on with the original screws it I ever wanna take it out of the studio?

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Sat Oct 15, 2016 6:44 pm

I'm not familiar with The OR15, but normally the bolt is in a through hole into the chassis to hold it all together . With the bolts out your amp may be "loose" in the shell. All should be removable/replaceable.

Gob

Post by Gob » Sat Oct 15, 2016 7:21 pm

Jondog wrote:I'm not familiar with The OR15, but normally the bolt is in a through hole into the chassis to hold it all together . With the bolts out your amp may be "loose" in the shell. All should be removable/replaceable.
Yup, that's what I discovered. As I was unscrewing the final bolt I felt the chassis come unseated. Simply re-tightened the final bolt again and then put the other ones back in, sans the rubber feet. Did the trick.

If anyone's curious I did have to take the handle and the top screws out on the corner pieces. After that loosened my desk shelf and slid it under. It's a bit of a tight squeeze, but at least I know nothing will be sliding around on me.

Thanks!

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:56 pm

I'm not sure if what you've done is a really good idea gob.

The valves on those amps do get pretty hot, and need ventilation to cool down. Being fitted so tightly on a shelf in you desks doesn't like it will let any meaningful air flow to cool it down. Obviously, I haven't seen your desk, but your description implies that this may not be a great idea.

And welcome to the forum!!!!!! :)
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:34 pm

Les Paul Lover wrote:I'm not sure if what you've done is a really good idea gob.

The valves on those amps do get pretty hot, and need ventilation to cool down. Being fitted so tightly on a shelf in you desks doesn't like it will let any meaningful air flow to cool it down. Obviously, I haven't seen your desk, but your description implies that this may not be a great idea.

Good point, definitely want to have some ventilation for the tubes.

pedecamp
Orange Hero

Post by pedecamp » Sun Oct 23, 2016 2:26 am

Jondog wrote:
Les Paul Lover wrote:I'm not sure if what you've done is a really good idea gob.

Good point, definitely want to have some ventilation for the tubes.
That's funny, I was thinking the exact same thing.
Thunderverb 50