Weird.... Thoughts?

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

jontheid
Orange Expert

Re: Weird.... Thoughts?

Post by jontheid » Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:26 am

The ohms reading for speakers is in fact impedance, not pure DC resistance, and will always be higher than the DC resistance that you measure with a multimeter.

see here: http://www.bcae1.com/resvsimp.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Definitely don't try and measure with a signal connected, always with nothing connected at all.

A 16 ohm speaker will always read less than 16 ohms, but if your speaker is sounding terrible in the same way with different heads, then regardless of the voice coil DC resistance, it is a gonner.

Best thing to do IMHO is get a known good cab and test your Orange through it.
Blown speakers aren't the end of the world.
Sick Oranges are a tragedy and should be sorted out ASAP!
Cheers,
Jon

Jbeaudin

Post by Jbeaudin » Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:00 pm

I'm really hoping that the new speaker solves my sound problems. I've changed out pretty much everything else that "I can" without taking it to a tech. One thing I did notice when I tried a different amp through that cab is that I still had a thicker tone then I was able to get with my orange. What I'm trying to say is I'm still worried there's might be something wrong with the head. I might be selling it anyway though. I'm tired of 300$ tube jobs once every couple years and I never use the dirty channel on the amp. My little combo is doing everything I need it to right now and more.

Jbeaudin

Post by Jbeaudin » Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:23 am

Update, I think the problems have been resolved. Turned out I was losing a lot of my mids because of the ports in my cab, plugged and sealed them gave me my mids back. I also found out I had a lose solder joint on the speaker cabinet jack which most likely caused the buzzing and lose of sound problems I was having. I still think the tubes were a good idea, but for fun I might try throwing the old ones back in to see if there are any differences. I've always known this, but the speaker that's in there now is very neutral and natural sounding which doesn't produce the tone I like, once the new speaker arrives I'll give it a shot and see what the differences are like.