Help with Orange Micro Terror, flashing light

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

Toogy

Help with Orange Micro Terror, flashing light

Post by Toogy » Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:35 pm

Help! My buddy has been borrowing my micro terror for the last few weeks and he messages me today and says the amp won't work! When he turns it on, the light on the front just keeps flashing and there is no sound from the amp at all.

Does this sound like a power supply issue or something more serious?

Here is a video of what the amp is doing currently

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbvvNg4l ... e=youtu.be" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by Toogy on Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Re: Help with Orange Micro Terror, flashing light

Post by bclaire » Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:13 pm

Whoa.... that's weird. Never seen that before... Not sure what it means.

Phlowen
Rocker

Post by Phlowen » Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:49 pm

Similar thing happening to a guy on this forum: http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/vie ... 10&t=95919" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Looks like it's about 7 months old...you might see if he ever figured out what the issue was.

That definitely doesn't look good though.
RV 50 MKI | TH30 | RV 50 MKIII
G&L Tele (ASAT Classic) | Musicman Bongo 5
Anesthesia - Post-Rock/Ambient band - anesthesiaproject.com

Toogy

Post by Toogy » Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:07 pm

Well I'm going to try a different power supply tonight with it, fingers crossed!!

edit: that didn't work! hmm...

fphlat

Post by fphlat » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:30 am

Having the same problem with a Micro Dark that I just picked up ... the seller said that it worked but that he didn't have the adapter - I trusted him and when I got home and plugged in the adapter from my Micro Terror (which works fine), the LED on the Micro Dark just flashes every 1/2 second.

I swapped tubes in the two amps, but no change on the Micro Dark ... the Micro Terror continued to work perfectly.

So, NOT the power supply, and NOT the tube, what's next?

If anyone has figured this out, please post your findings ... I'd rather not throw parts at it (I can get a replacement STA540 for under $10 locally, but if it's likely something else I don't want to waste money and time just swapping bits at random).

Thanks!

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:47 am

Um, I'd suggest making use of the warranty. That is what it is there for... :shock:

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

fphlat

Post by fphlat » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:51 am

I wish it were that straightforward, but alas I purchased it used at a pawn shop without warranty - I could go back and raise a stink about being lied to, but:
1) I don't think I'd feel any better if I got someone fired
2) They would more likely promote him as salesman of the month
3) I bought it as-is, so I'd only be making myself an 'idiot customer' to be laughed about at the staff smoke breaks
4) By saying nothing now, the next time I buy something there, I can try to swing a bigger discount by being the guy that can take a hit & not go postal. :evil:

So, I'm going to try a little more poking around myself, and if I can't find anything obvious, there's a local guy that does repairs & builds custom amps - I'll see what he'd charge to have a go at it.

fphlat

Post by fphlat » Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:34 pm

SOLVED ... BAD DIODE

... on my Micro Dark, I found that the diode right between the Power Input jack and the Speaker Output jack was a little burnt looking, had split and was therefore useless.
I opened my Micro Terror (since that is what the OP is having the problem with) and there is a diode in the same spot, so that part of the circuit was consistent (Note: there's a big glob of translucent goop covering 1/2 the diode in my Micro Dark, and covers the whole diode in my Micro Terror).

The diode in the Micro Dark was a 1N4007 ... I didn't have any at home, so I dropped in a 1N4005 ... hopefully that won't be an issue.

NOTE: If you decide to open your amp, you VOID THE WARRANTY ... so if you can get it fixed under warranty, go for it, if not, and you feel confident with a soldering iron and it's a choice between your amp being a paperweight, or maybe getting fixed, then here's what I did...

After taking off the top cover (and for the Micro Terror also the inner cover), I removed the circuit board:
1) Micro Dark - Removed 3 1/4" jack nuts on the back (only 1 on the Micro Terror), and 2 on the front plus the 3 control knob nuts
2) Removed the bolts holding the circuit board to the chassis (only one on the Micro Dark, two on the Micro Terror)
3) Disconnected the cable for the LED Power Light
4) Tilted the board up carefully and slid it back and out
5) Examined the board for any bad components (this is when I found the bad Diode)
6) Removed and Replaced the bad Diode (NOTED THE POLARITY OF THE DIODE WHEN I REMOVED/REPLACED IT (One end of the diode has a white stripe, if it goes in backwards, it won't work).
7) Re-Assembled - IMPORTANT--- I Discovered the Power Switch should be in the ON position so that it slides into it's hole ... if it is OFF, it will jam in the bottom of the chassis and I was close to snapping it off :shock:

Plugged it in, hooked up a guitar and speaker and she runs like new.

Hope this is of some help to others!
Last edited by fphlat on Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OrangeBoy
Tiny Terror

Post by OrangeBoy » Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:32 pm

Fphlat, that's awesome to know. I have a Micro Dark and Micro Terror so the repair may be good to know in the future.

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:08 pm

Good catch. Might be worth upping the diode to a 1n5408 or similar

fphlat

Post by fphlat » Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:32 pm

I don't know if a 3A rated diode will have any ill effects, but if she breaks down again I may give it a shot. The amp was pretty cheap at the pawn shop, so I'll enjoy it while it works, but won't feel bad if it dies again - at least I've learned something in the process of diagnosing and repairing it. :)