(two amps in a single speaker) is this method safe?

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

jiem

(two amps in a single speaker) is this method safe?

Post by jiem » Fri Jul 15, 2016 3:04 pm

Hi,

Here is what I would like to try : I would like to mix the signals from the preamps of a TH30 and a Micro Dark (from the "sends" of the fxloops) using a behringer micromix mx400 (for instance) and then send the result in the "return" of the fxloop of the TH30. This way I would use a cabinet with only one speaker.

Is this safe? Is there another way to mix the signals of the TH30 and the Micro Dark in order to use just one speaker?

Does somebody know the impedances of the fxloops of the TH30 and of the Micro Dark ?

liaztraht
Tiny Terror

Re: (two amps in a single speaker) is this method safe?

Post by liaztraht » Sat Jul 16, 2016 3:59 am

I would keep a load on one amp the other plugged into the cab. Run an aby splitter from guitar into both inputs and find a mono dual female to single male adapter and run the fx send of each amp to that and plug the male end into the fx return of the amp the cab is plugged in to.

Something like this
My cat loves the Orange tone!

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:43 pm

Not safe at all.

In simple terms, your amps HAVE to have a speaker connected to them (or some other load but that wouldn't be my preference).

It would be better to simply run the two amps side-by-side with each having their own cabinet - use a Y cord of some sort to split between the two amps.

I think the bigger issue will be the ground loops you're going to get by trying to connect three amps electronically.

Gladmarr
Orange Master

Post by Gladmarr » Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:41 am

I'm at a loss as to why the micro terror(s) need a speaker load attached. Usually solid state amps don't necessarily need a load. Maybe the micros are class d amps which do need a load. Either way, both amps need a load attached or bad things will happen. You really don't want to blow up your amp(s).

jontheid
Orange Expert

Post by jontheid » Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:38 pm

Micro Dark manual states:
If the Phones jack is not in use, a suitable speaker cabinet must be connected at all times during use.

jontheid
Orange Expert

Post by jontheid » Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:42 pm

It is all a bit strange. Some reviews on-line say Micro Terror is a Class D amp.
This thread here http://www.freestompboxes.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=22030" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
... shows us that the power amp chip is an STA540, a 4 x 13W Class AB chip.
hmmm.

megalithic
Orange Hero

Post by megalithic » Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:01 am

jontheid wrote:Micro Dark manual states:
If the Phones jack is not in use, a suitable speaker cabinet must be connected at all times during use.
I would say you can use the send and use the Micro Dark as a pre-amp, all you have to do is stick a dummy jack in the headphones socket.