Microterror 2x PPC108

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

bigmac

Microterror 2x PPC108

Post by bigmac » Sat Jul 02, 2016 2:46 am

Hi I've a micro terror with 2x PPC108, both cabinets has parallels jacks chained thus impedance is 4 ohms for a 8+ ohms amp. Considering it's solid state amp, it's less probable to damage the head (vs valve/tube one) but there's a chance to damage it? (tone changed a lot using 2xPPC108 vs 1 PPC108 cabinet. I've also have a 1x12 blackstar cabinet (celestion) 16 ohms that sounds a lot better.

it's better for the amp and the tone to use the parallel original jacks or it's better to made a box with serial wired jacks in order get 16 ohms impedance with both cabinets, in order to not damage the head?

Thanks in advance for your help
Regards
Cristian

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Re: Microterror 2x PPC108

Post by bclaire » Sat Jul 02, 2016 3:18 pm

The specs say 8 ohm minimum so I would definitely not daisy chain two 1x8's together. That's a 4 ohm load. Finding a way to run them in series to make a 16 ohm load would be the way to go...

bigmac

Post by bigmac » Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:57 pm

Thanks Billy! one improvement opportunity for Orange on the PPC108 to get a wiring switch to serial instead of parallel as it has! (in order to get a nice stack)

thanks for the advice, heating the iron to do it!

Farewell
Cristian

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:03 pm

You could make a wiring harness to run them in series.

PBA
Rocker

Post by PBA » Sun Jul 03, 2016 5:21 am

Do please tell us how two 8" speakers sound compared to one 12". I have a feeling the 12" will still sound better.

bigmac

Post by bigmac » Sun Jul 03, 2016 1:25 pm

My point was that orange ppc108 cabinets should be factory wired serial in order to keep the impedance over 8 ohms, considering that they're also sold as stack (i.e. https://www.amazon.com/Orange-Micro-Ter ... B00C9JLL4E" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) but they comes wired parallel reducing the impedance to 4 ohms that may harm the head (it says over 8 ohms) and changes the tone. Using one ppc108 sounds great, but in stack of 2 sound changes (more middles and highs and you should adjust the tone to get lows). Using the 12 inches bigger boxed speaker the sound si full (amazing is the word, to be exact).

On this forum in other posts they also says that you should buy a new power source to feed the amp in stack but I guess the logical solution is wire them in series rather change the power source.

Thanks for all comments and solutions!

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Sun Jul 03, 2016 3:16 pm

PBA wrote:Do please tell us how two 8" speakers sound compared to one 12". I have a feeling the 12" will still sound better.
Blackstar makes (or did), a 4x8 cab which sounds pretty good. Say it moves more air than a 1x12. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VSDsUw4Sc4

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:25 am

bigmac wrote:My point was that orange ppc108 cabinets should be factory wired serial in order to keep the impedance over 8 ohms, considering that they're also sold as stack (i.e. https://www.amazon.com/Orange-Micro-Ter ... B00C9JLL4E" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) but they comes wired parallel reducing the impedance to 4 ohms that may harm the head (it says over 8 ohms) and changes the tone. Using one ppc108 sounds great, but in stack of 2 sound changes (more middles and highs and you should adjust the tone to get lows). Using the 12 inches bigger boxed speaker the sound si full (amazing is the word, to be exact).

On this forum in other posts they also says that you should buy a new power source to feed the amp in stack but I guess the logical solution is wire them in series rather change the power source.

Thanks for all comments and solutions!
Orange doesn't sell/market the Micro Terror with two PPC108 cabs as a stack. That's just a random, ignorant Amazon reseller advertising whatever the hell they want to package together. There's a reason that Orange only put one speaker output on the back of the Micro Terror. It is intended to be used with one tiny cab for maximum portability.

Also, if the two inputs on the PPC108 were wired to each other Serially, I'm pretty sure you'd always have to have something plugged into both jacks for sound to come out. That's why nobody does it.

megalithic
Orange Hero

Post by megalithic » Fri Jul 08, 2016 7:56 am

Orange did have all that, but it is not part of the current range.

The Micro Terror originally had a 4 ohm minimum output. Now the new ones have 8 ohm min.

The cabs originally had two jacks in the back, for parallel connection to use two cabs with a Micro Terror. The new ones just have one jack, since there are no more amps in the Terror series able to handle 4 ohms.

So I guess that means you have two older cabs and a newer head. Series box is the answer.