Help with 4x12 wiring

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

zedexseven

Help with 4x12 wiring

Post by zedexseven » Mon Jun 20, 2016 2:36 pm

I just picked up a used cab and the wiring appears to be messed up. I only looked when (looking from the back of the cab) the top right speaker wasn't working. I tested it with a multimeter and it measured proper ohms so I think the wiring is just messed.

All 4 speakers are 16ohm, and I would like to wire it as 16ohms mono. I found some diagrams on the internet which seem pretty strait forward but look nothing like how mine is wired. My cab has 2 inputs on the back but are unlabelled, I assume that is to make it stereo input maybe?

Here is diagram I drew up of how it's currently wired.

https://app.box.com/s/4q9ewrbulnns4935ch5vtixbfmu4ccvo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I assume that is wrong? Should I just disconnect everything and re-wire something like this Image

To do that do I need to remove the wires between the 2 input jacks? I don't need stereo input

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Re: Help with 4x12 wiring

Post by bclaire » Mon Jun 20, 2016 2:55 pm

Yikes. Somebody messed with that cab. Rewire it like the image you found online...

zedexseven

Post by zedexseven » Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:04 pm

Thanks. Should I connect the + and - the diagram has to just the first input on the cab. Assuming I don't need stereo wiring should I just disconnect the 2nd input?

Here is a pic I took of the 2 inputs for the cab.

https://app.box.com/s/byc13ig1uqtn8fyt59kfrtgdx9og492s" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There is a white wire connecting both the inputs which you can see, but also a black wire connecting them which the crappy lighting in the picture didn't really capture.

zedexseven

Post by zedexseven » Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:39 pm

Actually after looking at it closer, I think the tip on the 1st input jack is connected to the tip on the 2nd. And same with the sleeve or ground. So I think its just intended to give you the option to plug into either plug but not both. Does that sounds like a common setup?

jontheid
Orange Expert

Post by jontheid » Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:20 pm

It is so you can 'daisy chain' two cabs together. It wires them in parallel.