Sampler into Effects Loop

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

sydscarlet

Sampler into Effects Loop

Post by sydscarlet » Fri Apr 29, 2016 2:07 pm

Hi,
I use a rockerverb 50 and I play live with pre-recorded samples that I trigger from my Jamman Stereo Looper.
I never use the looper function live, I only use that pedal to play samples during the songs.

Would it be safe to plug the Jamman in the RETURN of my effects loop (without plugging anything in SEND) ?
So that I could have my guitar and effects at the front of the amp and the pre-recorded samples going in the effects loop ?

I'm a bit scared to damage my amp by mis-plugging things so I just wanted to know before I do it!
Rockerverb 50 MKIII - Matamp 212
Gibson SG - Fender Jaguar

Phlowen
Rocker

Re: Sampler into Effects Loop

Post by Phlowen » Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:26 pm

Should be fine, you're just bypassing the preamp section that way. Your loops may need to be cranked up on the pedal, but it should work.

I'm not sure if you'll hear both your guitar and the loops. That is to say, I'm not sure if the preamp signal continues to pass through if you have something plugged into the return, but not the send (just never tried it). Someone else here may know...

BUT, you wont' hurt the amp, so give it a shot and let us know what you find out.
RV 50 MKI | TH30 | RV 50 MKIII
G&L Tele (ASAT Classic) | Musicman Bongo 5
Anesthesia - Post-Rock/Ambient band - anesthesiaproject.com

sydscarlet

Post by sydscarlet » Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:12 pm

Hi!
Thanks a lot for your answer!
I tried a few things today for whoever is interested:

1) You are right, when I plugged it in the return only, it bypassed the pre-amp.
so I could hear the sampler but there was no sound at the front anymore.

2) When I plug the sampler via the send + return the problem I have is that my entire sound depends on the input volume of that pedal so it feels like my entire guitar signal is still going through that pedal anyway which is what I was trying to avoid...

3) The same goes when I tried to have my Space Echo (RE20) in the effects loop, the entire guitar sound seemed to go through the input volume of the Space Echo (making it more crunchy and dirty even with pedal volume at 12 oclock)

So in the end, the benefit is that you can use clean and overdrive channel without affecting the pre-recorded loops BUT it seems like the signal will still go through that loop pedal and be dependent of the "input volume knob" of the pedals
Rockerverb 50 MKIII - Matamp 212
Gibson SG - Fender Jaguar

Phlowen
Rocker

Post by Phlowen » Mon May 02, 2016 1:26 pm

Yup, that makes sense! Thanks for following back up!
RV 50 MKI | TH30 | RV 50 MKIII
G&L Tele (ASAT Classic) | Musicman Bongo 5
Anesthesia - Post-Rock/Ambient band - anesthesiaproject.com

JPM58

Post by JPM58 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:20 am

Hi guys, not sure, but I think my question is quite similar and if I may I'd like to ask it first in this topic.
I have an Orange Rocker 15 and a Boss RC3 loop station. I'm using the RC3 mainly to play backing tracks. I'd like to have a clean sound from the looper and be able to use the dirty channel for the guitar. How should I connect the looper and the guitar?

Reading sydscarlet answer I would think: the guitar directly into the amp plug on top , but how to connect the the RC3 to the FX?
Output RC3 to return of the FX loop?
I'm a bit lost here, and I didn't find any clear video on youtube about this.

Thanks for your help

JP

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:06 pm

You'll need to plug the fx loop send into the input of your looper, and the output of your looper into the fx return.

I use it like that with my Rockerverb.amd my ditto. It's really good, allows you to record the preamp, clean or dirty, and replay it, and play over it, clean or dirty with everything being very distinct.

Bear in mind that if you record the loop yourself, the volume level will be set at recording level - so if you intend to recall it later (at home or a gig) you may need to adapt to the volume of your loop recording, ei: it may be too loud at home, or, if recorded at home, not loud enough for a gig.

If playing a sample, you will be at the mercy of the recording volume too.

It is great fun though. A great tool for practicing or writing. Can be difficult to get right live.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

JPM58

Post by JPM58 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:30 am

Hi Les Paul Lover, thanks very much for quick answer. That helps me a lot. I'm short of a cable then, let's go shopping and I'll try that that right away.
Have a great day!

JP

JPM58

Post by JPM58 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:25 am

Working great thanks again.

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:08 pm

My pleasure.

I quite like recording a clean riff, lasting a few bars, through the loop, and then playing clean or dirty over it.

Putting the looper though the fx loop really opens a lot of possibilities.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute