Question about TH30 combo

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

kmb8488

Question about TH30 combo

Post by kmb8488 » Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:24 pm

Hi all,

My TH30 recently developed a somewhat subtle hum on both channels. I figure this is an indication that the power tubes should be replaced, but I first want to check in and see if anyone has had a similar problem, and if so, what worked for you? I replaced a preamp tube in the TH30 last October, but that's the only maintenance I've done to the amp.

Thanks!

Blue Notes

Re: Question about TH30 combo

Post by Blue Notes » Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:12 pm

Mine did the hum thing as well from day one, changing the 12AT7 tube cleared it right up. Quite as a mouse now, only it has a micro phonic tube now, so more testing and tube changing ahead.
•FCS LTD Golden '50s 1954 Stratocaster In Cimarron Red

•Orange TH30C

Ronnie Robinson
Orange Master

Post by Ronnie Robinson » Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:36 pm

kmb8488 wrote:Hi all,

My TH30 recently developed a somewhat subtle hum on both channels. I figure this is an indication that the power tubes should be replaced, but I first want to check in and see if anyone has had a similar problem, and if so, what worked for you? I replaced a preamp tube in the TH30 last October, but that's the only maintenance I've done to the amp.

Thanks!
First I'd check each tube and reseat it in its position. Visually anything obvious? Do u have any spares you could swap in?. If tubes are over 2 years old they are probably ready for a change anyway if the amp gets used regularly.

Everyone has there own favourites but I've read that Ehx preamp tubes are good in reducing noise ....and I've had no issues using them.

If your changing power tubes Buy a matched set and install, it won't need additional biasing.
Orange AD30 HTC
Orange Rocker 15 terror
Orange Tiny Terror HW,
Fender elite Start, Gibson SG 61,fender telecaster

Previously Owned - Rocker 30

Phlowen
Rocker

Post by Phlowen » Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:28 pm

Blue Notes wrote:Mine did the hum thing as well from day one, changing the 12AT7 tube cleared it right up. Quite as a mouse now, only it has a micro phonic tube now, so more testing and tube changing ahead.
I had the same issue, but mine was always with the PI tube. I bought a whole round of new tubes when I got the amp (something I always like to do) and the hum started as soon as I replaced the stock tube. I went through 4 different, brand new replacements, and only replacing the stock tube fixed the issue. I've heard other people have some weird issues with the PI tubes in the TH30...I haven't consistently heard about any of the others being a problem.
RV 50 MKI | TH30 | RV 50 MKIII
G&L Tele (ASAT Classic) | Musicman Bongo 5
Anesthesia - Post-Rock/Ambient band - anesthesiaproject.com

Blue Notes

Post by Blue Notes » Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:18 am

Haven't had any issues with the other tubes, all turned out to be the effects loop (12AT7) JJ tube, it had a loud low hum which one of my friends said was probably due to a short in the tube.

My dealer gave me a groove tube as a replacement, it quitened the amp down but I thought I heard some traces of micro phonics, but more testing proved it to be fine.

Since the amp came new with all JJs, I wanted to put a brand new JJ back in, so I bought a new (12AT7) JJ today, and put it in, and it's even more quieter than it was with the groove tube. The amp is so quiet, and sounds so amazing I couldn't be happier.

At first I was a little upset about having to work on a brand new amp, but man has it been worth it.

Blue Notes
•FCS LTD Golden '50s 1954 Stratocaster In Cimarron Red

•Orange TH30C