Fractal FX8: relays on OR100?

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

crankyrayhanky

Fractal FX8: relays on OR100?

Post by crankyrayhanky » Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:57 pm

I have an OR100 (love it)
I recently bought a Fractal FX8
The fx8 has 2 relay ports to allow connection to an amp to make changes; on the OR I want to change the Gain boost and channel switch (if I can somehow access the global boost that would be cool too but it is a less pressing need)

It says in the fx8 manual that it can only be used with "short to sleeve" type switching otherwise it is not safe for the amp or fx8
It then states that it is "Compatible with TRS cables, TS cables or TRS to dual TS split cables"

I sent a note through the support contact on the Orange website a week ago and never received a reply.
Can anyone help me here? The fx8 and OR 100 sounds awesome but this is tedious trying to get the info so I can hook up the switching system for live

BobJM

Re: Fractal FX8: relays on OR100?

Post by BobJM » Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:49 pm

Yo.
Have you tried [email protected]? I've used that address before and usually got a quick response. The Orange website did have some message about email trouble on it a few weeks ago. Maybe give it another shot?

Hubaxe
Orange Expert

Post by Hubaxe » Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:10 am

No risk to give it a try. Have you a setup for latch/unlatch on the relay?
I use a NOBELS MS4 (midi switch) to change the channel of my Orange head, and it works very well. But can't remind the setup of the switches.

crankyrayhanky

Post by crankyrayhanky » Fri Feb 26, 2016 4:10 pm

There is actually a risk to try it as the the FX8 manual clearly states that it could do damage to the amp and the fx8 if it is not "short to sleeve" type switching .

But the real concern here is Orange customer service which has been non responsive to this thread, different email addresses, and voicemail. I'm guessing they don't know and/or don't want to declare a statement and then be liable for potential damage resulting from a connection to a product that is not theirs that they know nothing about. They should have responded with something, even if it was "we can't comment on this". No response is unacceptable. I was lined up to buy another Orange last month and went in another direction based solely on the non-response to this question. Great sounding amps, but ... yeah...