ORANGE/MATAMP OR200 "Capacitors"

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

tube

ORANGE/MATAMP OR200 "Capacitors"

Post by tube » Mon Dec 21, 2015 7:58 pm

hi,
This time I write because it's time to replace the capacitors of my Orange/Matamp OR200
When I turn on my Orange/Matamp OR200 warn crackling noise and distorted sound.
I opened my Orange/Matamp OR200, and I noticed that the capacitors, on the outside seem deformed.
What do you recommend?

Orphin
Duke of Orange

Re: ORANGE/MATAMP OR200 "Capacitors"

Post by Orphin » Tue Dec 29, 2015 3:52 pm

That amp is 35+ years old. I highly recommend to swap all electrolytic caps in that amp even if they weren't deformed or even if they'd still operated normally. If someone would claim that it would lower the value of the amp because the new caps aren't original, just tell them to 'eff off, because that amp deserves to run properly!
David
I'm speaking out of my a$$. Yours might differ.

tube

Post by tube » Tue Dec 29, 2015 4:04 pm

Orphin wrote:That amp is 35+ years old. I highly recommend to swap all electrolytic caps in that amp even if they weren't deformed or even if they'd still operated normally. If someone would claim that it would lower the value of the amp because the new caps aren't original, just tell them to 'eff off, because that amp deserves to run properly!

ok, I have a big problem.
I do not know which capacitors use, any of you could help me?

Orphin
Duke of Orange

Post by Orphin » Tue Dec 29, 2015 4:27 pm

Take the amp to a tech and have him do this for you. Do not attempt to replace them yourself. The filter caps in a tube amp are the most hazardous parts in the amp.
David
I'm speaking out of my a$$. Yours might differ.

E_S_D

Post by E_S_D » Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:16 pm

Do you mean hazardous beyond the correct current bleeding procedures and precautions described in the amp safety section?

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:31 pm

E_S_D wrote:Do you mean hazardous beyond the correct current bleeding procedures and precautions described in the amp safety section?
Well yes. Incorrectly fitted (electrolytic caps are polarity sensitive) they will explode on you! :shock:

That apart I'd have to totally agree with David (Orphin). If you can't work out exactly which caps are needed (usually written on the caps themselves, also on proper schematics!) you really shouldn't be doing the work yourself. To advise differently here would be unwise IMO...
http://www.aikenamps.com/index.php/safe ... amplifiers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

jontheid
Orange Expert

Post by jontheid » Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:59 pm

The other thing to take note of is that the crackling and distortion may be absolutely nothing to do with the electrolytic capacitors at all (failing smoothing caps would give you hum and low volume I would have thought).
I had an old HH IC100 with horrible looking leaking electrolytics and it was still incredibly loud with no hum at all.
This amp really needs to go to a good tech with experience in working with Matamp/Orange. It deserves it.

tube

Post by tube » Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:47 pm

ok,
Where can I bring my amp?
What the best tech with experience in working with Matamp/Orange?

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:19 pm

In Italy? Ummm... what do you call a deer with no eyes?

I know someone very good in Scotland, but that is a very long trek for a valuable old timer like your OR200.

Best bet is to Google search and see who there is in your part of the world. Or try music shops / magazines in your region. Personally I always prefer to be able to talk to a tech myself.

My advice when you find someone would be to make sure to ask for all removed components to be returned to you along with the amp. That way for example they won't be so tempted to do unneeded work or (especially!) to replace nice old valves with crappy new ones and keep the old ones for themselves. Just a general hint that really.

At any rate if running a valve amp you do want to make friends with a good amp tech. Happy hunting!

Andy.

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

bassdrop
Orange Master

Post by bassdrop » Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:05 pm

I would look on the Support section of the main Orange site and call the Orange UK headquarters. They will be able to point you in the direction of the nearest Orange authorized repair center. If you look in the dealer section of the site, there are Orange dealers all over Italy and I would think many of them are also repair centers, so hopefully there is someone good within driving distance. Good luck, and Forza Azurri!
mmmmmm drop

Guthrie Matthews Method
http://www.guthriematthews.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Modified Fender Custom Shop Jazz, Warmoth P/J clone,
Orange AD200 MkIII, Barefaced Compact

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:12 pm

Shouldn't that be 'Forza Arancio'? :lol:

Andy.

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:36 pm

E_S_D wrote:Do you mean hazardous beyond the correct current bleeding procedures and precautions described in the amp safety section?

You are aware I hope that the electrical charge is chemical. Just because you discharge it doesn't mean it won't come back on its own in a while... because it will.

bassdrop
Orange Master

Post by bassdrop » Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:57 pm

a.hun wrote:Shouldn't that be 'Forza Arancio'? :lol:

Andy.
Not if you like teams that win, it shouldn't! :wink:
mmmmmm drop

Guthrie Matthews Method
http://www.guthriematthews.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Modified Fender Custom Shop Jazz, Warmoth P/J clone,
Orange AD200 MkIII, Barefaced Compact

Gladmarr
Orange Master

Post by Gladmarr » Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:05 pm

bclaire wrote:

You are aware I hope that the electrical charge is chemical. Just because you discharge it doesn't mean it won't come back on its own in a while... because it will.