Anyone Re-Cap an AD15?

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

HCW

Anyone Re-Cap an AD15?

Post by HCW » Tue May 05, 2015 1:06 pm

I'm looking to re-cap the power supply filter capacitors on my AD15. I wanted to see if others here have done this and what they selected for replacement caps.

I've been looking at the Panasonic EEU-EE2W series, EEU-EE2W470S (47uF) and EEU-EE2W220S (22uF). However, I'm not sure that the ripple current of these is high enough. The 47uF is spc'ed at 1.2A, and the 22uF is spec'ed at 945mA. I haven't done any ripply current calculations on the AD15, so I'm not exactly sure what is needed, but if anything I'd rather be well over the needed ripple current if possible, which I'm thinking would need to be at least 1.5A... but that's a guess. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Re: Anyone Re-Cap an AD15?

Post by Les Paul Lover » Tue May 05, 2015 8:53 pm

Funny, I was considering that when my AD15 was in bits the other day, I couldn't help thinking that replacing caps andbkijesbshould be done now....

But Then they looked all well, and the amp sounds incredibly good, so thought I might as well not mess with it any more than needed.

Are you really intent on doing it? I'd be interested to hear your thoughts if you do it.
Or is something going wrong with your amp?
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

HCW

Post by HCW » Wed May 06, 2015 1:30 pm

In my circle of music friend there are four AD15s that I see regularly, three of which I've opened up and have worked on changing tubes, speakers, and tried to de-squeal. One of them has a problem where the output is extremely low. It's not mine but my friend asked me to take a look at it. Two of the 47uf caps are a little puffy on the end of the can, so I'm looking for replacements (figured I might want to preemptively change out the caps in mine as well). There are a lot of axial caps (leads coming out either end of the cap) but there radial styles seems more limited. Capacitor prices are also all over the place, so I'm trying to go by the specs I want, preferable going overkill on the ESR and ripple current. The schematics on-line don't say much about the output transformer in the circuit, but the main's fuse in 2A so I figure getting close to that would be reasonable. However, I don't really know... I only have a very basic understanding of tube electronics and power supply design... I don't know enough to analyse the tube circuit schematics available on line to calculate the actual ripple current on the 3x 47uF and 1x 22uF cap, so I'm hoping someone on here can help me out.

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Wed May 06, 2015 8:44 pm

The HT fuse is only rated at 1A.
Sorry I'm not much help really. My 3 47uf are branded by teapo
If you can find the specs of those, you'll probably find how much you need?

Since you "maintain" a stable of four AD15, have you had any issues with the valve heater connection in the past with them?
Ant

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

HCW

Post by HCW » Wed May 06, 2015 10:55 pm

Surprising no, I've seen plenty of people having issues with it on-line though. I did add extra glue my connectors one time I had it apart.

jontheid
Orange Expert

Post by jontheid » Thu May 07, 2015 8:53 pm

Very low output from an amp is unlikely to be failing psu caps.
It sounds like that amp needs troubleshooting form a tech.
Also, do you know how to discharge caps safely?
Have you got a voltmeter/multimeter?
If you don't I wouldn't try to change the PSU caps yourself.
Regarding capacitor makes, I'd avoid JJ - they have only 1000 hrs rated life!
F&T are supposed to be good, aren't too expensive, and last longer.

HCW

Post by HCW » Tue May 12, 2015 12:53 pm

Yeah, I have a cap discharge box I built, and there could definitely be other problems with the amp, but these caps are puffy and need to be replaced. I've ordered some of the Panasonics. I've gotten some feedback from other forums where people have used them without issue. I'll let everyone know how it goes.

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Wed May 13, 2015 9:57 pm

Cool, looking forward to hear your thoughts on the new capacitors. Hope that solves the issue and the amp sounds better than Ever!!!!
Ant

jontheid
Orange Expert

Post by jontheid » Fri May 15, 2015 8:59 am

I had a look at the specs for the Panasonics - they last for ages! Longer than F&Ts for sure.
Good find.