My trusty Orange AD15 isn't making noise anymore....

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Re: My trusty Orange AD15 isn't making noise anymore....

Post by Les Paul Lover » Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:09 am

I was reviewing the pics I've taken for the other thread we had a little while back about the squealing AD15.

I took this pic early March and the amp was working then. Clearly, the red wire to HTR0 is already on the crispy side.

So I think it was only a matter of time really.

I'm wondering if:

a) there's another issue with it
b) if these connectors / wires are inadequate for the low voltage going through.

I'll find out when it'll be fixed (or not!!!! :lol:)!
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Sooner
Orange Master

Post by Sooner » Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:58 pm

Les Paul Lover wrote: I'm wondering if:

a) there's another issue with it
b) if these connectors / wires are inadequate for the low voltage going through.
It's the current that a concern really (not voltage) but my guess is the wire gauge is adequate and it's just the crappy connectors that are the issue. HTR0 gets the most current so that's where the problem is most likely to occur. Just for grins you could measure the resistance across all of the heaters and the indicator light and calculate the current through each connector.
Sooner
AD1512 Serial No. 001

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Sun May 03, 2015 12:59 pm

Finally found some time to hardwire the heater supply today.

I decided to use 2 different colours for the wires, it makes wiring easier.

It works!!!!! I reassembled it, and got a fright.... The 12ax7 weren't glowing..... And stayed cold.... For a long time, but did eventually warm up!!!!!

Plugged in and soon had my 2 1/2yo son telling me it was too loud.....!!!! Relief!!!!! :mrgreen:

A big thank you to you all, I wouldn't have diagnosed the fault myself.

How amazing is this forum?

Totally amazing!!!!!! 8)
Ant

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Bensnake
Orange Master

Post by Bensnake » Sun May 03, 2015 9:07 pm

Awesome! I'm as relieved as you are, man! :D And now you've got yourself a custom wired AD15... 8) It is a rare luxury...
RV100 MKIII | '75 OR120 | OR100 | OR50 | CS50 | R30H | TT
2 x PPC412
Bax B. | Amp D.

Marshall 1959 HW + 1936V
Fender '65 Super Reverb Reissue
Vox AC30C2X + V212C

Playing Les Pauls and Teles...

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Sun May 03, 2015 11:11 pm

Bensnake wrote:Awesome! I'm as relieved as you are, man! :D And now you've got yourself a custom wired AD15... 8) It is a rare luxury...

I'm really pleased too, thank you!
Yeah, sooner and I have one of a kind now. Clearly a possible fault with AD15, I expect a few of us have had that done now.

I'm wondering if the fact that all the circuitry is enclosed might lead to some overheating there.

And i feel more comfortable working in an amp now, have learnt to discharge capacitors, and how to read a schematic in more detail than i had done in the past.
I was also weary about leaving this with a tech and being charged probably about a 1/3 or 1/2 the price the amp is worth to get it fixed or more!

Not only it cost me nothing, but I have learnt quite a bit along the way And that is very valuable to me.
But..... That wouldnt have happened without this forum, so I'm very thankful for the advice that has been given to me in this thread.
Ant

Hubaxe
Orange Expert

Post by Hubaxe » Mon May 04, 2015 7:36 am

well done Ant!

Sooner
Orange Master

Post by Sooner » Mon May 04, 2015 12:05 pm

Les Paul Lover wrote:
It works!!!!!
Awesome!
Les Paul Lover wrote: Clearly a possible fault with AD15, I expect a few of us have had that done now.
I'm wondering if the fact that all the circuitry is enclosed might lead to some overheating there.
Well the heaters being located directly below the PCB and no vent probably isn't the best design but it looked like your overheating was isolated to the crappy connector. Possibly a problem for any Orange amp that uses the same connectors. I notice that they changed from black to white connectors somewhere along the line. Perhaps the white ones are better?
Sooner
AD1512 Serial No. 001

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Tue May 05, 2015 9:41 pm

Hubaxe wrote:well done Ant!
Cheers!!! :D
Sooner wrote:
Les Paul Lover wrote:
It works!!!!!
Awesome!
Les Paul Lover wrote: Clearly a possible fault with AD15, I expect a few of us have had that done now.
Well the heaters being located directly below the PCB and no vent probably isn't the best design but it looked like your overheating was isolated to the crappy connector. Possibly a problem for any Orange amp that uses the same connectors. I notice that they changed from black to white connectors somewhere along the line. Perhaps the white ones are better?
No idea if the new ones are better. I'm wondering what caused mine to burn out on HTR0 - it looks like it had been a slowly happening thing. Clearly it was like that and working still
working early March.

Anyway... Both Our amps are Fixed! What a great feeling!!!!
I was so worried when I reassembled it that it wouldn't work still...... :lol:
Ant

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Wed May 13, 2015 10:12 pm

jontheid wrote:Your test results (measured to ground) show that the mains transformer secondary that does the heaters is working:
TX6 3.15V DC 3.3V AC
TX7 0V 0V
TX8 3.15V DC 3.3V AC
So even if there was a fuse (which there isn't) it couldn't have blown.

Also the schematic gives TX6 and TX8 as 3.15VAC (not dc). The TP and TX voltages that have letters after them are all AC voltages. The ones without letters (such as TP5,6,7) are DC voltages.

These measurements were made relative to ground. Heater voltage is between TX6 and TX8 and is 6.6V ac, TX7 is presumably a centre tap for the heater winding, and is grounded. This is all good. Your heater voltage is slightly high, but this is likely because, due to the fault in the heater wiring, no current is actually flowing in the heaters. If it were I bet this voltage would come down a bit.

Cheers,
Jon
Never replied to this - yes, once fixed, the voltage dropped down a smidgen under 6.3v. And all other test point reading were slightly lower too, marginally.

It's such a relief to hear it in all its glory every time I switch it
on now.
Ant

jontheid
Orange Expert

Post by jontheid » Fri May 15, 2015 8:58 am

I'm really glad you fixed it and it is all back in spec. Should keep running fine now, enjoy!

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Sat May 16, 2015 9:46 pm

Yeah that's great. I guess we'll be seeing as bit more of this sort of thing in the future. Will have to bookmark this thread when I get back home.

Did I ever mention disliking crappy connectors? Usually meant 'spade' ones but those look a bit 'iffy' too.

Still, now you're sorted you won't have to swap it for an RV Mk.3... :wink:

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Sun May 17, 2015 12:22 am

I must say that the heater wire connections in Orange amps have always bothered me because of those connectors and hot glue. Just doesn't seem right to me. I notice they use pretty thin wire a lot too. Hopefully these are things they've fixed in the new Rockerverb MKlll where I heard Ade say the connections are hand soldered in. Good job!

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Mon May 18, 2015 9:31 pm

Jondog wrote:I must say that the heater wire connections in Orange amps have always bothered me because of those connectors and hot glue. Just doesn't seem right to me. I notice they use pretty thin wire a lot too. Hopefully these are things they've fixed in the new Rockerverb MKlll where I heard Ade say the connections are hand soldered in. Good job!
a.hun wrote:Yeah that's great. I guess we'll be seeing as bit more of this sort of thing in the future. Will have to bookmark this thread when I get back home.

Did I ever mention disliking crappy connectors? Usually meant 'spade' ones but those look a bit 'iffy' too.

Still, now you're sorted you won't have to swap it for an RV Mk.3... :wink:

Andy.
No, still very happy with my RV50 MKI with the 6V6s and the crazy reverb!!!!

I've got to say that I'm a bit so so about spade connectors and the likes now.... We've seen a few forum members having issues with them over the years, they seem to be susceptible to oxydation causing them to stop working.

Mine is a bit different, I'm still wondering what caused the serious overheating there. But the charring left residue on the connector rendering it useless, so as they say in Thailand, same same, but different.....
Ant

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Mon May 18, 2015 10:36 pm

Les Paul Lover wrote:I've got to say that I'm a bit so so about spade connectors and the likes now.... We've seen a few forum members having issues with them over the years, they seem to be susceptible to oxydation causing them to stop working.

Mine is a bit different, I'm still wondering what caused the serious overheating there. But the charring left residue on the connector rendering it useless, so as they say in Thailand, same same, but different.....
Well if the contacts weren't good, ie a bit high resistance, than that alone could explain it. Remember that with heaters while the voltage is low the currents are relatively high. So even fairly small resistance levels could still lead to significant heat. My thinking on it anyway.

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

onetracker
Rocker

Post by onetracker » Sun Nov 20, 2016 8:33 pm

steamboat wrote:Awesome work guys thanks for posting all this.

seriously! thanks.
what can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof