Do I need to replace my tubes?

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

mobkon

Do I need to replace my tubes?

Post by mobkon » Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:48 am

Hi all-

I have an AD30HTC. I notice that my amp is sounding a little thin and lacking in low end. It's also sounding a bit mid-rangey and just off from what it used to sound like. I know I have some bad pre-amp tubes (I can hear tube rattle when I play certain notes).

Assuming I need to replace my tubes, whats the main difference in sound between the "Invasion Package" , "Value Package" and "Premium Package" over here at Tubestore?

Premium Package - http://www.thetubestore.com/Shop-by-Amp ... um-Package" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Invasion Package - http://www.thetubestore.com/Shop-by-Amp ... on-Package" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Value Package - http://www.thetubestore.com/Shop-by-Amp ... ue-Package" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I see a huge price difference between Value Package and the other two. Is it REALLY worth that much more? I'm a noob when it comes to tubes. Don't know much. I haven't changed my tubes in 5 years. I just want my low end back and my amp to sound good again!

Thanks for your time

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Re: Do I need to replace my tubes?

Post by a.hun » Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:00 am

Just get new power valves. That'll very likely revive the amp.

Preamp valves? I'd get one or two spares, swap the original ones out one at a time and see if there is a real difference. If not replace each original one and try the rest. But power valves first - they do the hard work in an amp and won't normally last nearly as long as the pre's.

Almost never any need to replace all valves at once though.

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:24 pm

If you think you have bad preamp valve(s), the first thing to do would be to buy one new 12AX7 and try it in each position one at a time to see if things improve.

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:08 pm

Or better still have an used good one. I don't trust new valves as much! But yeah, one pre should probably suffice. I'm betting worn power valves here.

Andy.

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

pedecamp
Orange Hero

Post by pedecamp » Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:28 pm

I'd get the whole set of replacement tubes, you never know which is gonna be the problem - power, preamp or rectifier. Any you dont need at the moment its always good to have spares, you never know when you'll need them. I'd go with the value pack, theyre really good tubes and the price is right, I dont think the cost is worth the "Rolls Royce" packages. You gotta keep it real ya know? Good luck with it and let us know how it all turns out.

One more thing, keep all your old tubes, at least you know they work and can be used for testing and troubleshooting future problems.
Thunderverb 50

JustinG60

Post by JustinG60 » Fri Feb 13, 2015 6:18 pm

the differences in those tube kits are the bands of tubes used in the kits. Mullard is a good tube, i would pay more for those but i have yet been disappointed with JJ tubes. i am not a fan of Tung Sol but some people do swear by them in the preamp...

if money is an issue here's a full basic retune kit of JJ's for less than just about any place you could come across.

http://www.eurotubes.com/store/pc/viewP ... tegory=374" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Eurotubes are AMAZING people to deal with. i broke a tube of my matched sets being a complete noob and wasn't watching when i was putting the chassis back into the cab. they looked up my prior order, saw the range the tubes were that i bought and sold me 1 single tube to match the 3 good ones. not many places will do that or keep those kinds of records from my experience. i don't go anywhere else now!

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Sat Feb 14, 2015 12:11 am

pedecamp wrote:I'd get the whole set of replacement tubes, you never know which is gonna be the problem - power, preamp or rectifier...
You definitely do know which is the problem if you troubleshoot them instead of blindly replacing them all at once.
pedecamp wrote:...One more thing, keep all your old tubes, at least you know they work and can be used for testing and troubleshooting future problems.
He thinks that one or more of them is not working properly. That's why he posted the thread. He won't know which are actually working properly if they are all replaced at once. That would make future troubleshooting with those tubes potentially inaccurate and pointless.

pedecamp
Orange Hero

Post by pedecamp » Sat Feb 14, 2015 1:57 am

Randy Bass wrote:
pedecamp wrote:I'd get the whole set of replacement tubes, you never know which is gonna be the problem - power, preamp or rectifier...
You definitely do know which is the problem if you troubleshoot them instead of blindly replacing them all at once.
pedecamp wrote:...One more thing, keep all your old tubes, at least you know they work and can be used for testing and troubleshooting future problems.
He thinks that one or more of them is not working properly. That's why he posted the thread. He won't know which are actually working properly if they are all replaced at once. That would make future troubleshooting with those tubes potentially inaccurate and pointless.
Let me clarify Randy....

Buy the whole set and troubleshoot from there as everyone is suggesting. Save the extra tubes for spares.

Is that better Randy? :)
Thunderverb 50

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Sat Feb 14, 2015 3:00 am

No, that isn't the way to go.

You know when preamp tubes go - they get microphonic. They're not a tube that needs replacing until they start to go...

Power amp tubes should be replaced regularly. Get a set of those and replace them - that will bring the spark back to your amp. A full set of extra tubes is a waste of money - however, having a spare preamp tube readily at hand is smart for those times when one goes microphonic...

pedecamp
Orange Hero

Post by pedecamp » Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:47 am

bclaire wrote:No, that isn't the way to go.

You know when preamp tubes go - they get microphonic. They're not a tube that needs replacing until they start to go...

Power amp tubes should be replaced regularly. Get a set of those and replace them - that will bring the spark back to your amp. A full set of extra tubes is a waste of money - however, having a spare preamp tube readily at hand is smart for those times when one goes microphonic...
True, I never lost more than one preamp tube at one time, but I have warmed up an amp and put it off standby to get no sound, no warning, no microphonic tube. I have amps with 5 year old power tubes that sound as good as the day I got them, a 30 year old amp with original tubes that sounds great, but then I never owned an Orange so I cant comment on those. If you don't have the money to keep a full set of spares on hand (because you never know what will go bad or when, any tubes can go bad - power, preamp, rectifier) then what you are suggesting, to buy a minimal amount of tubes is the way to go. Myself, I'd rather have a full set on hand, I actually have several sets of different brands because I like to play around with the tonal differences you get from different tubes, but that's not for everybody.
Thunderverb 50

nlimbaugh
Orange Master

Post by nlimbaugh » Sun Feb 15, 2015 2:01 pm

a.hun wrote:Or better still have an used good one. I don't trust new valves as much! But yeah, one pre should probably suffice. I'm betting worn power valves here.

Andy.
Yeah, get one good NOS preamp tube (that you'll probably switch to anyway) and you'll find it's your power tubes (probably) and you'll be souding better than ever.

nlimbaugh
Orange Master

Post by nlimbaugh » Sun Feb 15, 2015 2:05 pm

pedecamp wrote:

True, I never lost more than one preamp tube at one time, but I have warmed up an amp and put it off standby to get no sound, no warning, no microphonic tube. I have amps with 5 year old power tubes that sound as good as the day I got them, a 30 year old amp with original tubes that sounds great, but then I never owned an Orange so I cant comment on those. If you don't have the money to keep a full set of spares on hand (because you never know what will go bad or when, any tubes can go bad - power, preamp, rectifier) then what you are suggesting, to buy a minimal amount of tubes is the way to go. Myself, I'd rather have a full set on hand, I actually have several sets of different brands because I like to play around with the tonal differences you get from different tubes, but that's not for everybody.

YEAH BClaire TOO has the plan I'd follow. Seems like hauling around too many tubes is a way to increase the odds of messinging up the glass somehow/ make them become more micophonic. I keep a little pelican box with a few and I feel all pro/anal about my setup. But, things do go wrong in bad ways sometimes. I used to take an extra cymbal with me until that got to be too much of a hassle in the big picture.

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Sun Feb 15, 2015 3:27 pm

Well I agree with everything there except that they don't always go microphonic. :wink:
They can sometimes just go noisy (hiss / hum / popping / other) or weak (less bass / treble / definition) or just plain stop working.

Many (especially modern ones) do end up going microphonic though, especially in combos or with rough handling especially when still hot.

Andy.

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Sun Feb 15, 2015 5:24 pm

Andy's correct, they can go in other ways. I haven't had to replace a tube for anything other than microphonics in a long time so.... meanwhile, I gotta go move the new 18" of snow that fell last night.

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:25 pm

bclaire wrote:Andy's correct, they can go in other ways. I haven't had to replace a tube for anything other than microphonics in a long time so.... meanwhile, I gotta go move the new 18" of snow that fell last night.
I haven't had to either. Or to shift that much snow either, not since I was a kid! :lol:

Andy.