Orange Rockerverb 100 MK2 (MKII) noisy! preamp gain noise

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

JustinG60

Orange Rockerverb 100 MK2 (MKII) noisy! preamp gain noise

Post by JustinG60 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:01 pm

Alright, so I have been trying to tame the beast that it white/preamp noise. I even run a Rocktron Hush C in the effects loop and at like volume 1.5 it's awful. like, I have to switch to the clean channel between songs because it drives all of us insane.

so in my rack i have noticed I generated a little more noise due to my BBE Sonic Maximizer (used to modern the amp up a touch), so to ensure it's not a rack system issue I run a Rocktron Buzz Kill which kills the noise frequency created in racks.

further, it did this with the stock tubes, so I had all the tubes replaced with JJ tubes ...which yielded no difference. I later had to have the amp taken in for service because the ribbon cable inside came off of the circuit board and I asked the tech if he noticed the noise. they said they did and that it's "normal" because I run the gain around 8.5...

so is this actually "normal" for an Orange? because the only other amp I've owned that made this much noise was an original Marshall JCM800 2203 haha.

or do i need to re arrange my rack setup for noise suppression? i don't use much here's how I have it set up currently.

Guitar > Orange input > Effects Loop Send > Rocktron Patchmate 8 > Rocktron Hush Super C > BBE Sonic Maximizer > Rocktron Buzz Kill > Eleven Rack > Effects Loop Return.

the Eleven Rack is only used on the clean channel which I only use on 2 songs so I haven't justified a real effects processor yet haha

thoughts? suggestions? the noise lately has been driving me crazy lately haha

stuart_tate41
Tiny Terror

Re: Orange Rockerverb 100 MK2 (MKII) noisy! preamp gain nois

Post by stuart_tate41 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:34 pm

There's a few things might be worth looking at. Have you ever tried a power conditioner? Could be a ditry mains noise.

The only thing I could get to tame the noise on my old 6505+ was an ISP Decimator. Having said that I've never used a Hush Super C.

JustinG60

Post by JustinG60 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:40 pm

stuart_tate41 wrote:There's a few things might be worth looking at. Have you ever tried a power conditioner? Could be a ditry mains noise.

The only thing I could get to tame the noise on my old 6505+ was an ISP Decimator. Having said that I've never used a Hush Super C.
Thanks for the response, I guess I could have mentioned I am using a power conditioner already.

the Hush Super C is quite powerful in it's noise suppression... I am going to borrow my friend's Boss NS2 and ISP Decimator this week to try other suppressors but I am not expecting much change. I guess I should check back after I am able to try that?

stuart_tate41
Tiny Terror

Post by stuart_tate41 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:13 pm

I'm guessing you've gone through all your instrument cables and patch cables?

Bensnake
Orange Master

Post by Bensnake » Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:26 pm

Gosh! Gain at 8.5! :shock: What happens when you back the gain off just a tiny bit (aside from getting better tone... :wink: )?
RV100 MKIII | '75 OR120 | OR100 | OR50 | CS50 | R30H | TT
2 x PPC412
Bax B. | Amp D.

Marshall 1959 HW + 1936V
Fender '65 Super Reverb Reissue
Vox AC30C2X + V212C

Playing Les Pauls and Teles...

JustinG60

Post by JustinG60 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:45 pm

stuart_tate41 wrote:I'm guessing you've gone through all your instrument cables and patch cables?
yeh, i've replaced every cable in the rig with a decent quality cable. no monster cable type stuff but at $15 a cable for what I used I think I have enough wrapped up in cables haha! I originally bought a cheap set of patch cables from Guitar Center and replaced all of them in the matter of hours...
Bensnake wrote:Gosh! Gain at 8.5! :shock: What happens when you back the gain off just a tiny bit (aside from getting better tone... :wink: )?
haha! ...I knew it was only a matter of time I caught something for that! well I play a Sanctuary/Nevermore type of metal mixed with some Megadeth and Testament influence so with that being said I play a 7 string. we're tuned to A#/Bb and my guitar is a Carvin SCB7 with a mahogany neck, mahogany body and a swamp ash top. I guess if I share anything with Dimebag Darrell it's my lust for gain. Had the Dual Dark been released when I bought this Rockerverb new I would have went with that instead.

if I roll back on the gain to just hit the 4th gain stage the 7th string sounds bassy and not like a guitar, but still noisy. personally I am a 6 string player but the guy I play with got me into 7's, enough to have a Carvin built to sound how I wanted my tone to be

JustinG60

Post by JustinG60 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:42 pm

well i did a 7 minute video running through everything i could think of with the amp, it never really does silence up to an acceptable level like my other guitar player's ENGL does. he uses the onboard suppressor and the suppressor in his AxeFX and dead silent.

http://youtu.be/-W1tJMqJ-bA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

stuart_tate41
Tiny Terror

Post by stuart_tate41 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:04 pm

JustinG60 wrote:well i did a 7 minute video running through everything i could think of with the amp, it never really does silence up to an acceptable level like my other guitar player's ENGL does. he uses the onboard suppressor and the suppressor in his AxeFX and dead silent.

Oh man that's a lot of noise! You say you've changed the tubes and it hasn't changed?

Have you plugged that engl into your set-up in place of your orange?

Do you get the same noise when you plug the guitar straight into the amp?

JustinG60

Post by JustinG60 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:38 pm

stuart_tate41 wrote:
JustinG60 wrote:well i did a 7 minute video running through everything i could think of with the amp, it never really does silence up to an acceptable level like my other guitar player's ENGL does. he uses the onboard suppressor and the suppressor in his AxeFX and dead silent.

Oh man that's a lot of noise! You say you've changed the tubes and it hasn't changed?

Have you plugged that engl into your set-up in place of your orange?

Do you get the same noise when you plug the guitar straight into the amp?
yep, changed the tubes even though they did not need replacing hoping it would clear up some noise but made no difference.

I have not plugged the ENGL into my setup but I have run multiple other heads through my rig and silences to an acceptable level or gone completely...

same noise when i plug directly into the amp? no, it's WORSE! add all the static, add all the hum and then in god awful squeal. that's what it's like with out my noise suppression setup. i guess i am about to try calling Orange but I don't think I registered the amp online to get the extended warranty. if i am told this is normal then i guess i am no longer an Orange player and the amp shopping continues :|

stuart_tate41
Tiny Terror

Post by stuart_tate41 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:47 pm

As I'm sure you've seen I've had some bad noise problems with my small orange ended up being failed valves however it did go back and I have just received a new one.

Might be worth going to a store that stocks Orange and trying one of their Rockerverbs to see if the same thing happens! How old is it and has it always done it?

JustinG60

Post by JustinG60 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:04 pm

stuart_tate41 wrote:As I'm sure you've seen I've had some bad noise problems with my small orange ended up being failed valves however it did go back and I have just received a new one.

Might be worth going to a store that stocks Orange and trying one of their Rockerverbs to see if the same thing happens! How old is it and has it always done it?
the amp is about a year old, give or take 2 months, and has always made a lot of noise.

unfortunately due to a tear in my shoulder my play time and ability to go out and do random things i want to get done are severely limited. i am leaving for Florida in a few days to visit family so i am hoping to attempt as much as i can before friday evening.

waiting to hear back from Orange technical support to hopefully get some more insight to what's going on

JustinG60

Post by JustinG60 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:31 pm

...looks like it is going to Orange USA to have it looked at, not just by an authorized dealer

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:43 pm

Good. They tend to take any customer problems seriously. I suspect you may be able to stay an Orange player. Lots of noise with Oranges isn't normal!

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

stuart_tate41
Tiny Terror

Post by stuart_tate41 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:43 am

Sounds like it's going to be sorted, good luck!

JustinG60

Post by JustinG60 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:29 am

Yeh, I will be sending it out tomorrow...

While very unusual for Orange's reputation, ownership of this amp has been less than ideal. But! On the plus side, it's still a better experience than owning my Hughes and Kettner Triamp MK2 Alex Lifeson, that was a disaster. Great sounding amp but both of mine had issues. Even though I buy new I apparently have some bad luck!

Thanks for all the responses!