Orange Rockerverb 100 MK2 (MKII) noisy! preamp gain noise

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

pedecamp
Orange Hero

Re: Orange Rockerverb 100 MK2 (MKII) noisy! preamp gain nois

Post by pedecamp » Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:34 pm

Be sure to post the outcome of your service call, I'm interested how it all goes and I'm sure others are too. Cheers!
Thunderverb 50

JustinG60

Post by JustinG60 » Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:07 am

well, i just got the amp back from Orange USA after having a master tech look at it. i hear absolutely no difference in the noise. if you want to see the prior posted youtube video for reference, it is so loud even at 1 (practice volume) i can't even talk to my other guitar player. his rig is dead silent between songs.

i guess my time playing an Orange is over, too bad because the tone is to die for

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:56 am

:(

Sorry to hear it. I'd tell Orange that too.

Does sound like you've checked all external possibilities. Sadly not a lot else I can think of.

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

pedecamp
Orange Hero

Post by pedecamp » Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:57 pm

JustinG60 wrote:well, i just got the amp back from Orange USA after having a master tech look at it. i hear absolutely no difference in the noise. if you want to see the prior posted youtube video for reference, it is so loud even at 1 (practice volume) i can't even talk to my other guitar player. his rig is dead silent between songs.

i guess my time playing an Orange is over, too bad because the tone is to die for
Free support? Unfortunately you get what you pay for.......

If you really like the amp (except for the noise) I'd have a local qualified tech take one last shot at it, anybody that knows what theyre doing should be able to trace the signal path end to end and find the culprit of the noise. Dont give up yet!
Thunderverb 50

JustinG60

Post by JustinG60 » Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:49 pm

yeh, i really just don't know what to do with it at this point. not sure i feel like throwing more money at it if i am going to end up selling it. not sure what i am doing differently but i haven't heard others complain.

...another kick in the junk is my OCD. i have never liked or been into the gear with "character" or the relic stuff that looks beat up. when i opened the box and took the top 4 foam corners for packaging material i looked at my misses and said this isn't my amp. she sounded alarmed and asked how could you tell?! spots of paint missing on the metal corner protectors and an obvious knick in the tolex on the front. my rational side kicked in and took it out of the box and looked for the 3 small ways i could easily identify my head cab. i put a tiny tiny scuff in the tolex on one spot, a small dent on the back lower/under side of the head cab, and the small patch of dirt on the top tolex i hadn't gotten a brush out to scrub off yet. i then knew it was my head cab and matched the serial numbers... so several spots of paint off the corners gone and 2 knicks/ tears in the tolex showing white backing material on the face. seeing as they paid for shipping i feel i shouldn't be too upset but damn. i would have gladly paid shipping if i meant having my head cab being treated with more care.

...at this point depression of the whole thing is kicking in and i just feel like i am done with Orange. sucks cause i almost puller the trigger on a Dual Dark 100 last week but wanted to wait and head my Rockerverb "all fixed."

pedecamp
Orange Hero

Post by pedecamp » Fri Feb 13, 2015 3:39 pm

I just saw youre in Baltimore. Call a guy named Leroy Fitch 410-789-7505. This guy is a real master tech and can probably help you.
Thunderverb 50

JustinG60

Post by JustinG60 » Fri Feb 13, 2015 3:47 pm

pedecamp wrote:I just saw youre in Baltimore. Call a guy named Leroy Fitch 410-789-7505. This guy is a real master tech and can probably help you.
thanks, i have been in contact with Leroy for both of my repairs on the amp. i am going to meet with a friend of mine over the next few days and we're going to experiment with all of our suppressors in many different combinations to try to find an acceptable suppression. we'll be using an ISP Decimator, Boss NS-2, and a Rocktron Hush Super C. hopefully i can find some suitable resolution.

people i know say i should just move on but my gut feeling is making me a bit depressed thinking about moving towards another amp. i have played/owned so many amps before i landed at this one. even my Hughes and Kettner TriAmp MKII's only lasted a few months before i ended up with this amazing sounding Orange. a lot of internal struggle, just not sure i'm ready to let it go yet. Leroy is also working on rectifying the head cab issue. i must say their customer support is definitely better than others i have had to deal with even though my issue isn't truly rectified.

also... this is what i pulled the trigger on instead of the Dual Dark that is hindering my expendable music gear funds.

pedecamp
Orange Hero

Post by pedecamp » Fri Feb 13, 2015 5:10 pm

Wow nice Strat! Hey I have a 50 watt Marshall DSL that might fit your needs. Look on the local craigslist if interested.
Thunderverb 50

JustinG60

Post by JustinG60 » Fri Feb 13, 2015 6:11 pm

thanks for the heads up, i love the JCM2000 line but i am pretty set on sorting out my main amp situation. i'll keep it in mind though. my current back up amp is a JCM2000 TSL100 that has been Voodoo modded...

pedecamp
Orange Hero

Post by pedecamp » Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:02 pm

A TSL100 Voodoo, Nice! Trace at Voodoo is a good guy. Well I hope you get your RV100 sorted out quickly, good luck with that.
Thunderverb 50

nlimbaugh
Orange Master

Post by nlimbaugh » Sun Feb 15, 2015 2:19 pm

Bensnake wrote:Gosh! Gain at 8.5! :shock: What happens when you back the gain off just a tiny bit (aside from getting better tone... :wink: )?

For real, I exercise some masterful and mindful pick technique when I run my gain that high 3'0clock is my absolute cutoff it seems unless I'm got the mojo really going on.... which is rarely.

JustinG60

Post by JustinG60 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:29 am

so with the logic of don't use the available gain then why does the amp produce it? it obviously can't quiet down while it does, which is why it will probably be gone this week. never had an amp this noisy, i guess this amount of noise is just acceptable to some, but it isn't acceptable to me...

pedecamp
Orange Hero

Post by pedecamp » Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:34 pm

JustinG60 wrote:so with the logic of don't use the available gain then why does the amp produce it? it obviously can't quiet down while it does, which is why it will probably be gone this week. never had an amp this noisy, i guess this amount of noise is just acceptable to some, but it isn't acceptable to me...
I don't blame you one bit, a ton of noise is unacceptable. So you said Leroy looked at it and couldn't fix it? If so, then sell it and get that Dual Dark you were talking about. I know they have one at the Towson Guitar Center so go try before you buy. Good luck with this.
Thunderverb 50

JustinG60

Post by JustinG60 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:24 am

Well, I knew it wouldn't be long before I did something... bought an ENGL last night. That money was supposed to be for a Dual Dark but my luck with this Rockerverb hasn't instilled much confidence. For now the plan is to keep the Orange and try to sort out the noise problem, if I ever do figure it out I will come back here and post my solution for future searches.

Thanks for all the responses and help along the way! ...sorry if I got short with anyone while dealing with this, it has been rather frustrating and a little depressing haha

pedecamp
Orange Hero

Post by pedecamp » Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:05 pm

I never played an ENGL, thats cool if it resolves your dilema. I hope you can fix your RV100 soon.
Thunderverb 50