Orange OR100 very dark clean sound

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

duaffe

Orange OR100 very dark clean sound

Post by duaffe » Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:48 am

Hello,

i´ve got an new amp. An Orange OR100. I got an OR50 but i want to have an clean channel and an FX Loop and so i decided to bougt me the OR100. Sounds fantastic on the Drive channel. But the clean channel ist very dark. With my guitar i have to turn the treble to full and the bass to less to get a sound that is ok but not very god ? I play an ´82 Tokai Les Paul Copy with a Seymourd duncen SH1 in the Bridge.

Did anyone made the same experiences with the clean channel ?

Bensnake
Orange Master

Re: Orange OR100 very dark clean sound

Post by Bensnake » Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:13 pm

Congrats on the finast amp there is on the planet! :D The OR's, Rockerverb's and TH's clean channels are 'darker' than the avarage amp on the market. With that said it much depends on which pickups you're using. You can get the OR100's clean channel to 'shine and sparkle' with a single coil fitted guitar. If you're after Vox-ish chime, get a Vox. You can also put an eq in the loop to boost upper freq's.
RV100 MKIII | '75 OR120 | OR100 | OR50 | CS50 | R30H | TT
2 x PPC412
Bax B. | Amp D.

Marshall 1959 HW + 1936V
Fender '65 Super Reverb Reissue
Vox AC30C2X + V212C

Playing Les Pauls and Teles...

duaffe

Post by duaffe » Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:39 pm

Now i changed the preamp tubes. I put out the stock "MP" tubes (never heared about it here in germany) and i put in new JJ tubes. Now the amp sound much better in both channels... ;-) YES!!!!

Next step: Change the poweramp tube an put in JJs .... let´s se what happends ;-)

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:40 pm

duaffe wrote:Now i changed the preamp tubes. I put out the stock "MP" tubes (never heared about it here in germany) and i put in new JJ tubes. Now the amp sound much better in both channels... ;-) YES!!!!

Next step: Change the poweramp tube an put in JJs .... let´s se what happends ;-)
Hi duaffe.

Have never heard of those 'MP' valves either.

JJ power valves are good but maybe a little on the dark side. If you can still find some =C= (Winged C brand Svetlanas = SED, not the standard Svetlanas which are basically just Sovteks) they should sound massive with that amp. No longer in production but they were (IMO anyway) the best EL34s made in recent years.

To be honest though, while changing power valves can make a noticeable difference I often find different preamp valves can make more. Unless the power valves are pretty worn that is in which case the difference with any decent new ones is more obvious.

You'll also need to have the amp bias checked for the new valves. Opinions vary but IMO with this sort of amp cooler end biasing helps definition, articulation and clean headroom while making a significant improvement to valve life. Some do prefer a hotter bias though. If you are on good terms with a decent amp tech they can maybe let you hear the difference and decide for yourself.

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

pedecamp
Orange Hero

Post by pedecamp » Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:57 pm

Putting a nice bright and sparkling preamp tube like a Tungsol in V1 would have most likely sufficed in brightening your clean channel.
Thunderverb 50

amber14
BAN HAMMER!

Post by amber14 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:48 pm

I put out the stock "MP" tubes (never heared about it here in germany) and i put in new JJ tubes.
**SignaturE**

nlimbaugh
Orange Master

Post by nlimbaugh » Sun Feb 15, 2015 2:53 pm

pedecamp wrote:Putting a nice bright and sparkling preamp tube like a Tungsol in V1 would have most likely sufficed in brightening your clean channel.
I couldn't get past the idling noise I got from that new production tung sol.... maybe you all have differnet experiences.

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Sun Feb 15, 2015 3:45 pm

nlimbaugh wrote:
pedecamp wrote:Putting a nice bright and sparkling preamp tube like a Tungsol in V1 would have most likely sufficed in brightening your clean channel.
I couldn't get past the idling noise I got from that new production tung sol.... maybe you all have differnet experiences.
Never tried them myself but many seem to like them. Are you judging the type from just one noisy valve though? :|

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

T-Hawk

Post by T-Hawk » Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:46 pm

Thread Revival!

Any luck with new preamp tubes on the clean channel? What do you think? I'm in the same vote here. I want more sparkle and less murk out of this channel. Also more headroom for the clean side would rule for this amp. I was going to go ABY with a different amp, but I would love to get all the goodness out of this amp. Any thoughts? If you have links to the preamp tubes you are mentioning, please share.

Thank you Orangies!