Orange Expert

Re: 1979 Orange OR145 Bass Combo Circuit Schematic/Diagram

Post by jontheid » Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:53 pm

Anyone? Anyone? Pedecamp? Anyone?

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:45 pm

Lemos wrote:Doomed to the earthen crust my comrades.
Dave.... step away from the amplifier and put down the pipe.

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:37 pm

I'd definitely let him work on my amp.

Lemos

Post by Lemos » Fri Nov 14, 2014 4:32 am

Oh, they will get you.

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:31 am

Ho hum...

...Zappp!

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

Lemos

Post by Lemos » Sun Nov 16, 2014 2:45 pm

Quick question for you all: I am looking at a few different items I would like to build/design for future use/playing/recording, and I am looking to have a few things cleared up. I am wondering how important picking out the "right," microphone is, when you can run the signal through several EQ's and effects to nearly mimic other microphones, and vice versa? I know the "peaks and clarity" of microphones are still out there, but is it really worth spending upwards of $500-$1000, if say you found a microphone with enough pizazz for $400?

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:28 pm

When the spirit of the buffalo wing guides you through the cosmos, you must seek your own enlightenment, tasting the wind along the way. We all shall become crusty demons of dirt in the end, so why obsess over the significance of microphony when the souls of dinosaurs are already haunting our future dreams? Your wealth would be better allocated towards a healthy collection of rising crust pizzas.

Gladmarr
Orange Master

Post by Gladmarr » Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:31 pm

Randy Bass wrote:When the spirit of the buffalo wing guides you through the cosmos, you must seek your own enlightenment, tasting the wind along the way. We all shall become crusty demons of dirt in the end, so why obsess over the significance of microphony when the souls of dinosaurs are already haunting our future dreams? Your wealth would be better allocated towards a healthy collection of rising crust pizzas.

You're a monster!! :lol:

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:15 pm

Which Lemos am I talking to now?

If you want to mic up an amp, get a Shure SM57. Not expensive.

If you're looking for vocals, go sit down in the Pro Audio room at a Guitar Center (make an appointment) and try a bunch of mics until you find one that works for your voice. That's where you can spend a lot of money. However, I read about a band that recorded their lo-fi keeper vocal track for a song through the built-in mic on a MacBook Pro. So go figure...

Lemos

Post by Lemos » Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:44 am

I guess my question is: Will custom fabricating my own microphone yield greater benefits, than buying some cheep one? I know the fabrication process of store bought ones add to the price, and most of them probably target certain frequencies. I feel as though making my own would be pretty cool- slimmer chance my recordings will sound similar to those of fellow artists. I guess I just do not know how many microphones actually produce an output that differs from others, use the same circuit, etc. (I bought an AT-2020, and never really thought of looking back, due to financial reasons.) I just do not want to spend a thousand bucks, to get that certain bass frequency pickup, when I could have made my own with the same bass frequency pickup, just with less treble? I also have no idea how microphones work.

I had this crazy idea to make a ribbon microphone out of my AT-2020, and it worked. Unfortunately I had another idea, where I made this quick apparatus out of cardboard, where, from the side view, was > shaped. The two magnet sides where holstered vertical in the middle, and the ribbon was "hanging," in the middle of them, only attached to the top of the >.

Eddie Famine
Orange Hero

Post by Eddie Famine » Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:48 am

Wow, contact high !

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:27 am

Look up some youtube videos on adapting mics. You can convert one of the less expensive MXL mics into a sort of Neumann U85 clone... you must have a lot of time on your hands.

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:33 pm

400 bux? That'll get you a fantastic sounding mic these days. Don't bother creating your own, go get a decent Röde* condenser mic. But don't drop it or it's spirit will transdescend - terminally so.

Yeah SM57s (and '58s) will do a great job for micing up guitar speakers. You don't need more for that.

A really good mic though is a great thing to have though. Yes they all have their own little characteristics, but believe you me when you first stick a classy condenser in front of something good sounding (or even your own face!) and listen to it on headphones, yeah it all suddenly makes sense. Not the sort of sense you can EQ in either.

The best way to use a good mic is to stick it where it sounds best and don't bother with EQ at all, or EQ as little as possible...

I love my NTK*!

Andy.

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:51 pm

I once built a telephone out of string, paper clips, and plastic cups. I can build you any kind of microphone you want for $26 USD.

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:45 pm

Randy Bass wrote:I once built a telephone out of string, paper clips, and plastic cups. I can build you any kind of microphone you want for $26 USD.
I went deluxe and used two new old stock tin cans!

I've also used several loudspeakers as mics over the years, often with surprising(ly good) results. A loudspeaker is basically just a backwards microphone... :D

Andy.