AD30 RECTIFIER MODS

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

TXSPOILER

Post by TXSPOILER » Sat Aug 02, 2003 11:19 pm

Has anyone replaced their rectifier tube in an AC30 with the Groovetubes solid state rectifier.They claim it makes an amp louder and have a tighter sound

Edited by - TXSPOILER on 03 Aug 2003 05:21:58

TXSPOILER

Post by TXSPOILER » Sun Aug 03, 2003 5:25 am

Sorry about the all caps post

justin
Tiny Terror

Post by justin » Tue Aug 05, 2003 12:59 am

I don't think anybody knows if this is OK. I think the AD30 is too new of a model to have any kind of concensus about the viability of the amp with a SS rectifier. Since the GZ34 is the "hardest" (most SS-like) rectifier tube, it's voltage drop should be relatively close to a SS rectifier.

I asked around to see how I could find out for myself if the amp will take the SS rectifier. I've receiveed one reply so far from Aiken amps.

Here's what you do:
You need to measure the supply voltage and see if it's at least 40-50V below the voltage ratings of the filter caps. For example, if the supply voltage is 400V, and the filter caps are rated for 450V, things should be OK.

Since the GZ34 is the "hardest" (most SS-like) rectifier tube, it's voltage drop should be relatively close to a SS rectifier.
AD30HTC
OR series 4x12 w/V30's

Davis
Tiny Terror

Post by Davis » Thu Aug 07, 2003 8:21 pm

Aspen Pittman, author of The Tube Amp book, recommends replacing the rectifier tube with "their" solid state version claiming just what you have mentioned. But think for a moment.....why did the guys at Orange not think of this, and other vintage & boutique amp builders as well? Hmmmmm....perhaps its because of the way a rectifier tube gives you that "sag" and response when you pluck a string or play a chord. Of course the rectifier tube has no effect on overall tone, but it IS there to add to the unique "feel" that you get from a class A amp.
I thought about replacing my tube when I read Aspen's book, but went out to my studio, plugged into my Orange...played...and decided against it.

justin
Tiny Terror

Post by justin » Thu Aug 07, 2003 11:05 pm

Davis,

I'm driving a 4x12 cab with the rather ineffient Celestion Greenbacks in it. That speaker's breakup in conjunction with the 30 watt AD30HTC makes for a combo that's loud, but almost not loud enough. I actually wanted to try the SS recto for its intened purpose - to gain headroom. I've been meanig to get a good tube amp book. Do you recommend Aspen Pittman's? Is that THE one to get?

I'm not sure if your questions were rhetorical or not, but I have to add...

<i>"Hmmmmm....perhaps its because of the way a rectifier tube gives you that "sag" and response when you pluck a string or play a chord. Of course the rectifier tube has no effect on overall tone, but it IS there to add to the unique "feel" that you get from a class A amp."</i>

- "class A" and "sag" are completely independent of each other. You can have each of those characteristics in an amp in any combination.

<i>"But think for a moment.....why did the guys at Orange not think of this, and other vintage & boutique amp builders as well?"</i>

- I'm no history expert, but I think the guys who made the amps we now call "vintage" had no real choice for their rectification needs. Tubes were all they had to work with. I think most boutique amp builders add their own thing (or make a clone) to those old designs. It's tradition, and the amps sound good.
AD30HTC
OR series 4x12 w/V30's