MkI Rockerverb 100 Reverb not working

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

jm85

MkI Rockerverb 100 Reverb not working

Post by jm85 » Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:45 am

So, as the title says, my reverb is currently not working. When I have the Reverb turned to 0, there is no issue. As I turn it up however, I begin to hear an open are hum (similar to a single coil hum) but no reverb. I tried swapping the tubes. That didn't work. I also read that some of the 50 RV's had the leads to the tank switched so I tried that also. That didn't work.

My question is, what else could I check to try to fix this. And also, what are the specs for the tank so I can replace it if I need to. I'm also open to hear suggestions for tanks as I am pretty inexperienced in reverb tanks. I play rock music rhythm mostly but occasional lead. I don't want a dongle-narf Dale reverb or anything but something to add some body.

As always, thanks in advance.
Orange Rockerverb 100H
Orange PPC 4x12 Compact
2011 Gibson SG Standard Vintage Cherry

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Re: MkI Rockerverb 100 Reverb not working

Post by bclaire » Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:21 am

I used to have a Fender Twin Reverb that the reverb tank would stop working - what it was was, one of the little wires inside the tank that led to a little transformer came off. I soldered it back and voila!

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:17 pm

There are generally three possible causes of reverb problems: a bad reverb driver tube, a bad cable/connection, or a damaged reverb tank. I think you have already ruled-out the first two possibilities.

Also, the Forum censorship function is hilarious:
jm85 wrote:...I don't want a dongle-narf Dale reverb or anything but something to add some body...
Would you settle for dollywaggle Frank reverb? :)

jm85

Post by jm85 » Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:37 am

Randy Bass wrote:There are generally three possible causes of reverb problems: a bad reverb driver tube, a bad cable/connection, or a damaged reverb tank. I think you have already ruled-out the first two possibilities.

Also, the Forum censorship function is hilarious:
jm85 wrote:...I don't want a dongle-narf Dale reverb or anything but something to add some body...
Would you settle for dollywaggle Frank reverb? :)
I meant D*ck Dale... Guys named Richard must hate this. autocorrect? Censorship? A dongle-narf Dale reverb has peaked my interest though
Orange Rockerverb 100H
Orange PPC 4x12 Compact

jm85

Post by jm85 » Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:39 am

bclaire wrote:I used to have a Fender Twin Reverb that the reverb tank would stop working - what it was was, one of the little wires inside the tank that led to a little transformer came off. I soldered it back and voila!
I had read about the transformer wires somewhere else, but thanks. It's my next stop. Will keep you guys updated.
Orange Rockerverb 100H
Orange PPC 4x12 Compact

jm85

Post by jm85 » Sat Nov 08, 2014 6:42 pm

Ok, so time for an update I suppose. I changed the Reverb tube. No difference. I pulled the reverb tank to check the wires as was suggested. Nothing. A few weeks later I was curious again and pulled it again to check the wires. Nothing that I could see. I am out of ideas. So my question now is do you guys have any replacement tank suggestions? I'm looking for something that will swap out easily. What have you guys used/liked.

Thanks.
JM85
Orange Rockerverb 100H
Orange PPC 4x12 Compact

Deep Purple Fan

Post by Deep Purple Fan » Wed Dec 24, 2014 1:37 am

I have the same issue with a Rockerverb 50 combo MKI. Tube and tank replaced. No luck. It makes a rattle sound. If I have reverb on 1 or below its ok...once I gove over one I get a nasty rattle sound. To me it sounds like the springs but the new tank and old tank have the exact same issue. Any ideas?