Can you run the Terror Bass 1000 without cab hook up?

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

CPL
Tiny Terror

Can you run the Terror Bass 1000 without cab hook up?

Post by CPL » Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:50 pm

I'd like to use my Terror Bass 1000 to record by using the DI, but without running the cab with it. You know for late night purposes using headphones, or what not. I know some amps you can run without speakers and some you can't, but can you with this one?

If there was a head phone jack, I could easily solve this issue by utilizing that, but unfortunately it doesn't have one.

Thank you for any help with this inquiry.

Cheers,
CPL
ImageImageImage

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Re: Can you run the Terror Bass 1000 without cab hook up?

Post by a.hun » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:40 pm

Hi CPL.

'Fraid not.
Orange TB 500 / 1000 PDF manual wrote:Terminals labelled as “Speaker Outputs” must be connected to a speaker cabinet of the designated load rating using an un-shielded two conductor cable for speaker use at all times during operation.

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

edencab

Post by edencab » Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:21 am

a.hun wrote:Hi CPL.

'Fraid not.
Orange TB 500 / 1000 PDF manual wrote:Terminals labelled as “Speaker Outputs” must be connected to a speaker cabinet of the designated load rating using an un-shielded two conductor cable for speaker use at all times during operation.

Andy.
hi.I don't see this in my manual anywhere
MIM Fender Jazz Burgundy, Fender 9050L flats, Yammy RBX 270J Nat, D'addario 1/2 rounds, Orange TB500, Traynor SB200H, Eden D115, 1932 Conn Tenor sax, the band: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVB_mNjRydk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:13 am

Hi edencab. Welcome.

You should find this though:
PDF manual wrote:The contents of this manual may be subject to change without notice. The latest version is
available for download on the official Orange Amplification website:
http://www.orangeamps.com/support/downloads/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
And there you'll find...
Manual V1.4:
https://www.orangeamps.com/wp-content/u ... 0-V1.4.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Andy.
(Barefaced and Tecamp cabs!) :wink:

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

edencab

Post by edencab » Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:31 pm

a.hun wrote:Hi edencab. Welcome.

PDF manual wrote:The contents of this manual may be subject to change without notice. The latest version is
http://www.orangeamps.com/support/downloads/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
And there you'll find...
Manual V1.4:
https://www.orangeamps.com/wp-content/u ... 0-V1.4.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Andy.
hi ...thanks I found it........but now I am curious........I have only one speakon cable attached to the back for my one cab......the wording implies both need to be connected.....
MIM Fender Jazz Burgundy, Fender 9050L flats, Yammy RBX 270J Nat, D'addario 1/2 rounds, Orange TB500, Traynor SB200H, Eden D115, 1932 Conn Tenor sax, the band: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVB_mNjRydk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

CPL
Tiny Terror

Post by CPL » Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:42 pm

Thanks for the reply. That's good to know. It's strange I didn't get that particular manual when I got the head. It was some sort of other one that was kind of vague on any specs info. At least there is a PDF copy of this one to see.

Well, now I'm going to have to figure out a plan of recording besides using the Terror Bass, when that's not practical. There is one solution though that I've discovered that will get me the sound of Orange, certified by Orange, plus extra Orange goodies that I didn't have: http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/orangecs/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The sound clips on that thing sound pretty bad ass, so at least I can still get that sound and then some. I also play some guitar, so that would be an added bonus with recording it. I don't have an Orange guitar amp (yet) but I certainly love the sound of them. I love that raunchiness you can get with a guitar like a Gibson SG through an Orange in overdrive.
ImageImageImage

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:23 pm

edencab wrote:
a.hun wrote:Hi edencab. Welcome.

And there you'll find...
Manual V1.4:

Andy.
hi ...thanks I found it........but now I am curious........I have only one speakon cable attached to the back for my one cab......the wording implies both need to be connected.....
Nope. One cab one cable.

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:28 pm

CPL wrote:Thanks for the reply. That's good to know. It's strange I didn't get that particular manual when I got the head. It was some sort of other one that was kind of vague on any specs info. At least there is a PDF copy of this one to see.

Well, now I'm going to have to figure out a plan of recording besides using the Terror Bass, when that's not practical. There is one solution though that I've discovered that will get me the sound of Orange, certified by Orange, plus extra Orange goodies that I didn't have: http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/orangecs/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The sound clips on that thing sound pretty bad ass, so at least I can still get that sound and then some. I also play some guitar, so that would be an added bonus with recording it. I don't have an Orange guitar amp (yet) but I certainly love the sound of them. I love that raunchiness you can get with a guitar like a Gibson SG through an Orange in overdrive.
Hmm. I wonder what the Terror's DI sounds like going straight into the board for recording....

I was spectacularly unimpressed with the IK amp simulator. I am a big fan of the Sansamp Bass DI however - both for live and quick bass sound for recording. I like the sound of it a lot although the last time I used it for recording, I ran into a tube preamp/ compressor before going into the computer....

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:53 am

edencab wrote:hi ...thanks I found it........but now I am curious........I have only one speakon cable attached to the back for my one cab......the wording implies both need to be connected.....
No, the two speaker outputs on the back of the amp are connected to each other in parallel. They are effectively one and the same output but with the ability to attach a second cab (in parallel, for a lower total impedance load) if wanted.

One output to one cab is fine. Just make sure the output impedance switch is set correctly for the cab(s) being used.

Andy.

CPL
Tiny Terror

Post by CPL » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:44 pm

bclaire wrote:
CPL wrote:Thanks for the reply. That's good to know. It's strange I didn't get that particular manual when I got the head. It was some sort of other one that was kind of vague on any specs info. At least there is a PDF copy of this one to see.

Hmm. I wonder what the Terror's DI sounds like going straight into the board for recording....

I was spectacularly unimpressed with the IK amp simulator. I am a big fan of the Sansamp Bass DI however - both for live and quick bass sound for recording. I like the sound of it a lot although the last time I used it for recording, I ran into a tube preamp/ compressor before going into the computer....
Eventually I'll be able to use Terror Bass for recording, when I can have the right situation to do so. I love the tone of it, so I'd like to incorporate that Orange sound in recordings. It's too bad Orange doesn't make some sort of preamp, that would be rather useful, at least to me.

I was using a Fender Rumble 350 combo before I got the Terror Bass and since it had a headphone jack, I was able to use it for late night recording with it's DI output. I still have the amp (relegated to back up) but I'm not sure if I still want to use it for that purpose. I was using a Fender P Bass Lyte with it for a long time, but I retired that bass (it needs some serious work done to it, it's been through the ringer and back again) and replaced it with a Schecter Diamond J Bass, I haven't been happy with the tone out of it. I know the bass sounds amazing through other amps, especially the Orange, and it is one of the nicest playing instrument I've played on in at least 20 years. The action on that thing is like butter and the neck really fast. No wonder a lot of metal players like that brand. :P I'm not about to give that bass up for anything. I suppose some instruments work better with some amps than others.
ImageImageImage