JJs re-tubing question. Is this a bad idea?

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

ckyratm
Orange Hero

JJs re-tubing question. Is this a bad idea?

Post by ckyratm » Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:57 pm

Anyone know anything about the rating stickers on JJs tubes? Here's the sticker off of the power tubes that are currently in my Rockerverb 50 MK 1:

And here is the sticker off of the tubes I'm going to replace them with:

A few people, who are knowledgeable about tube amps told me I'm ok to just swap them out without biasing. I'm guessing that is probably not a good idea, especially since I'm doing a short tour next week. Any input from you guys? Thanks!
http://www.earthought.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Re: JJs re-tubing question. Is this a bad idea?

Post by Jondog » Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:05 pm

If you're putting them in a cathode biased amp your fine. The ratings are mostly for biasing purposes in fixed bias amps. If you bias the amp and you have the rating of the tube. Next time you buy tubes, you get some with the same rating and the amp won't need to be re-biased. However, if you like the way those tubes react in your cathode biased amp, getting the same rating next time is a good idea. Mesa sell their own tube brand that are measured to be replaced in their fixed bias amps so they never need re-biasing. Alot of their fixed biased amps have a fixed resistor (rather than an adjustable bias trim pot) that would need to be changed if you put a different brand in.

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:09 pm

Your RV50 should obviously have the bias checked/adjusted whenever the power tubes are replaced, but the grading/matching of those tubes could indeed be close enough to make it unnecessary. I only know that the label references the plate current of the tube, but I don't know what kind of tolerances are considered "close enough". Forty years ago tubes were replaced arbitrarily and matching wasn't given any thought because the manufacturing tolerances were much closer, but the concept is still the same if the new tubes in question are close enough to the old ones. The people who told you it would be okay to swap them without a bias adjustment would possibly be correct if they knew how those particular tubes were rated and understood the ratings. If they just told you that arbitrarily because they have gotten away with it in the past, their advice is useless. Someone should come along shortly with a post explaining the numbers on the labels in detail. That's really the only info that will be useful.

Phlowen
Rocker

Post by Phlowen » Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:46 pm

What Randy Bass said! I've gotten away with retubing my RV50 MK1 without biasing, but that was when I was but a wee lad in the land of tube amps and didn't really appreciate what I was potentially doing to my amp.

Biasing the RV50 MK1 is pretty easy, see if you can find a tech who would be willing to show you how to do it...it saves you all the time you'd have to leave your amp with someone just so they can do about 10 minutes of work on it....it'll save you some money too!
RV 50 MKI | TH30 | RV 50 MKIII
G&L Tele (ASAT Classic) | Musicman Bongo 5
Anesthesia - Post-Rock/Ambient band - anesthesiaproject.com

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:32 pm

The best info I have found so far references a 10% tolerance as the industry standard and a 5% tolerance to be about the closest that can be achieved when matching power tubes (per Mesa). The difference between those tubes (2 mA) would be within 10% of the 26mA rating for the tubes in there now. However, I don't know what significance (if any) the bottom number (transconductance) has within the context of biasing. I also don't know what voltage was used as the reference point for the grading/matching. If you happened to buy the tubes from Euro Tubes, I would send them an e-mail to ask if the two sets of tubes are close enough to avoid re-biasing the amp. It would be very easy for them to answer that question.

ckyratm
Orange Hero

Post by ckyratm » Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:37 am

Thank you guys for the help! So I'm making a guess that the 2 sets of tubes should be fairly close enough that the swap should be ok. In some other research I found this: "Orange Rockerverb 50 is about 400pv and uses 6V6's (14 watts dissipation) which we bias between 24 to 28mA." from this site:
https://www.eurotubes.com/eurotubes-Gen ... rshall.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Don't know how accurate that is though.

SO NOW, I'm having a new problem. I turned on my amp with the old tubes still installed (I wanted to record it to get a before and after tone comparison) I noticed that my dirty channel volume is not responding. A little bit of sound does seem to come through, but it's very faint. The gain seems to be the only knob on that channel that is working. Clean channel is fine.

I tried swapping the power tubes and the problem persists. I just used my amp at a show a couple days ago and it worked great. Now not so much. I am leaving on a 1 week tour this Friday so this is obviously the worst possible time for this to happen. Hopefully I can figure it out. Heads up, I may repost this in a new thread to cover a bit more ground. Please let me know if anyone has any info on this. Thank you all!

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:52 am

ckyratm wrote:Thank you guys for the help! So I'm making a guess that the 2 sets of tubes should be fairly close enough that the swap should be ok. In some other research I found this: "Orange Rockerverb 50 is about 400pv and uses 6V6's (14 watts dissipation) which we bias between 24 to 28mA." from this site:
https://www.eurotubes.com/eurotubes-Gen ... rshall.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Don't know how accurate that is though.

SO NOW, I'm having a new problem. I turned on my amp with the old tubes still installed (I wanted to record it to get a before and after tone comparison) I noticed that my dirty channel volume is not responding. A little bit of sound does seem to come through, but it's very faint. The gain seems to be the only knob on that channel that is working. Clean channel is fine.

I tried swapping the power tubes and the problem persists. I just used my amp at a show a couple days ago and it worked great. Now not so much. I am leaving on a 1 week tour this Friday so this is obviously the worst possible time for this to happen. Hopefully I can figure it out. Heads up, I may repost this in a new thread to cover a bit more ground. Please let me know if anyone has any info on this. Thank you all!
Since your new problem is limited to one channel (the dirty one) that has nothing to do with the power amp section. (Otherwise both preamp channels would be affected!)
Suggestion would be to do a little preamp valve swapping first to find the culprit.

As far as biasing goes, you need to be absolutely clear that this is a dangerous procedure. The voltages under the chassis of valve amps are easily high enough to kill you. (And can remain so even long after powering many types of amps down!) Working inside them isn't to be taken lightly and you need to know the right precautions to take (eg NEVER touch the chassis with one hand when working inside with the other, always keeping one hand well away from the amp!) Didn't see any mention of that on the video.

Also many (myself included) would disagree with the 'bias to 70%' suggestion. For many amps 70% (of maximum plate dissipation at idling) is an absolute maximum. as soon as the amp is running hard this can take it above 100% and lead to VERY short valve life. So 70% is more a limit than a target, and I don't agree with the statement that most amps will start into crossover dissipation at 65% - often it is much lower, between 50 - 60%! Using a bias probe between the socket and valve includes the screen current giving a bit of extra leeway. (The calculations aren't correct, but the direction of the error is safe leading to lower actual current settings! :wink:)

For big fixed biased amps I prefer them biased at the cooler end (though obviously above the crossover distortion threshold). This gives tighter punchier sounds and actually gives more clean headroom. Amps biased hotter lose clean headroom and the sounds get generally warmer, mushier, less distinct. Some people may prefer that even at the cost of big reductions in valve life. That obviously includes people selling you valves, but doesn't include me!
[quote="John Phillips (http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showpo ... stcount=12" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)]Given that like many other EL34 amps that put out more power than the tube set is really capable of while staying below the maximum dissipation rating, you need to bias it cooler than the 70% of that often recommended. I would go no higher than 60% (15W) and preferably slightly lower still. 15W at 480V is 31mA, so 30mA is what I'd suggest, as Mike did.

If you're measuring using a plug-in bias meter between the tube and socket, your reading will include the screen current though. This will be about 2 to 5mA for EL34s typically, so you could probably go as high as a reading of 35mA safely.

If you can test the amp at full power into a dummy load if you have access to one (an attenuator set to minimum volume will do). Watch what happens to the power tubes - if the screens (inside the plates) start to glow very bright orange, you're at risk of a tube failure. Some extra glow is normal, but it shouldn't be a lot brighter or more intense in color than the filament glow. You may even get redplating if it's biased hot enough, in which case you're definitely running it too high.
[/quote]
If you don't fully understand any of this I'd ask yourself if you should really be biasing the amp yourself. Personally... though I'm well up on the theory I prefer to leave it to my tech who can also do a thorough health check when inside the amp for valve changes. Valve amps aren't zero maintenance appliances so this pays big dividends in reliability. (And in both amp reliability and personal safety!!!)

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

jontheid
Orange Expert

Post by jontheid » Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:12 am

So I'm making a guess that the 2 sets of tubes should be fairly close enough that the swap should be ok.
I wouldn't be so sure.

If the tubes were from the same supplier using the same test equipment (say, Eurotubes) then possibly.

If the tubes were from two different suppliers using different test equipment I really would not assume that the tube characteristics are similar just because the numbers are similar - you are no longer comparing like with like.

It is far safer to always have the amp rebiased when fitting new tubes.

ckyratm
Orange Hero

Post by ckyratm » Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:01 pm

To address the biasing issue, I'm not planning on swapping power tubes out yet and definitely not biasing the amp myself at this point.

For my dirty channel problems, I have some extra working 12ax7s that I will try swapping out tonight to see if that solves the issue. If I can get that fixed, I will probably just leave my amp as is until I get back from our road shows.

If the pre tube swap doesn't work, I'll just have to AB between the clean channel on my RV50 and my other guitar players recently purchased OR50 ;), (kidding, but not kidding). I'm sure the guys in my band will be cool with packing an additional half stack into our already packed van, haha!