Reverb/Delay Pedal for TH-100

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

tony72

Reverb/Delay Pedal for TH-100

Post by tony72 » Fri May 16, 2014 10:28 am

Hi there, I am new to this forum. I used the Search function for related topics (and I found some), but I couldn't find an answer to my specific question. Therefore, I thought I start a new topic.

I recently got myself an Orange TH-100 and I couldn't be more happy. There is, however, one little thing that (at times) missing, and that's a hint of reverb and delay. My primary guitar is a Gibson SG '61 Reissue.

Essentially, I am trying to get as close as possible to the early Black Sabbath sound. I tried the EHX Holy Grail Plus but it just doesn't work for me. Don't get me wrong, it's a great pedal, but to me it sounds 'synthetic' for the lack of a better term. Therefore, I would appreciate any hints on reverb/analog delay pedals that harmonize well with the TH-100.

Thank you for your help in advance.

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Re: Reverb/Delay Pedal for TH-100

Post by bclaire » Fri May 16, 2014 1:22 pm

I know exactly what you mean... I use a little reverb and delay but I find that live, I more often shut it off.

I have the TC Electronics G-System, which is a bit over-the-top - but I have occasional other effect needs that the G-System makes easy to call up. I hate that artificial reverb sound - I wish I could offer you a suggestion. Good luck in your search!

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Fri May 16, 2014 3:07 pm

tony72 wrote:Hi there, I am new to this forum. I used the Search function for related topics (and I found some), but I couldn't find an answer to my specific question. Therefore, I thought I start a new topic.

I recently got myself an Orange TH-100 and I couldn't be more happy. There is, however, one little thing that (at times) missing, and that's a hint of reverb and delay. My primary guitar is a Gibson SG '61 Reissue.

Essentially, I am trying to get as close as possible to the early Black Sabbath sound. I tried the EHX Holy Grail Plus but it just doesn't work for me. Don't get me wrong, it's a great pedal, but to me it sounds 'synthetic' for the lack of a better term. Therefore, I would appreciate any hints on reverb/analog delay pedals that harmonize well with the TH-100.

Thank you for your help in advance.
Hi tony72, welcome! :)

Really don't know what to advise here. I have both an HG+ and a Fender '63 RI valve / spring reverb tank. I find I can dial the HG in to sound very close to (and damn near as nice as) the Fender. It really doesn't sound any more synthetic to my ears than the real thing. (Spring reverb is very synthetic of course, but I like it!)

I have to say here that good digital reverbs can be fantastic, and that isn't even anything new. Look at the Lexicon etc. units which have been industry standards in pro studios for many years. You may not be able to do everything brilliantly with digits, but reverb has long been one of the things you can IMO.

With Billy on reverb being pretty much overkill live. There you usually have natural room reverb and adding to that just loses you definition. Personally I only really like reverb with clean (or close to) sounds, so I can't speak for distorted reverb (or reverbed distortion).

Don't know, people will come out with their own favourite units of course, but frankly if you aren't getting on with the HG+ I don't know what more to advise... :?

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Fri May 16, 2014 3:41 pm

If you're looking for an all in one super flexible unit I'd suggest the Strymon Timeline. Maybe a bit much, but it's super flexible and can be set to do a really good reverb. I recently sold my Strymon Blue Sky reverb because I stumbled upon the reverb setting on my Timeline. Sounds just as good. I never use reverb and delay at the same time so I didn't need the extra pedal.

sizzlingbadger
Orange Hero

Post by sizzlingbadger » Fri May 16, 2014 8:21 pm

I'm using a Strymon Flint for verb (it has tremolo too) and its very nice. I use a Carbon Copy for delay which I find works well in the loop for high gain stuff.

Doctor Volume
Tiny Terror

Post by Doctor Volume » Sat May 17, 2014 12:54 am

I use a carbon copy in my TH100. I have it set pretty minimal. A little bit will go along way.
Can I raise a practical question at this point? Are we gonna do "Stonehenge" tomorrow?

tony72

Post by tony72 » Mon May 19, 2014 2:39 pm

Thank you very much everybody for the feedback - this is all very helpful. I will be looking into your suggestions and do some research. Also, in the meantime I changed things around a little bit and hooked the Holy Grail into the FX-Loop vs. having it before the amp. This is MUCH better already.

Also - and compeltely unrelated - I am in love with this amp. I don't know how else to describe it, but the tone us so unique, yet authentic - just a dream. Sorry, but I'm just in awe. Essentially, it rendered all the pedals that I purchased over the years redundant (Naga Viper Treble Booster, Pharaoh Fuzz, Big Muff Pi). Really, really happy with the TH-100.

tony72

Post by tony72 » Tue May 20, 2014 4:52 pm

I tried to post yesterday in reply to everybody's feedback here, but maybe I did something wrong.

Either way, just meant to thank you all for the helpful feedback. I will be looking at your suggestions and do some research. In the meantime, I hooked the Holy Grail into the FX-Loop vs. before the amp. That seems to make a noticible difference, much better that way.

Thanks again!

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Fri May 23, 2014 9:50 am

I don't know why some new members' posts go for approval but yours did.

Glad we could help!