Fault with Bass Terror 500 - help needed

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

md1912

Fault with Bass Terror 500 - help needed

Post by md1912 » Sun May 11, 2014 10:01 am

Hi all

I recently purchased the BT 500 amp and have only been using it for about a week, but after using it last night, quietly at home, it's seems to of picked up a fault. At first, I was turning it onto standby or on, and was getting nothing whatsoever, no fan or no jewel light. After leaving it a couple of minutes, it then switched on.

This morning I've tried again, and it's switched on as it should, but it's not as loud as it first was! Now my initial thoughts are it's a possible problem with the pre-amp/valves, but I'm no amp tech so don't know for sure if this is the problem.

I have a warantee for it, so can get it replaced with no issues at all, but after doing a quick search on Google to see if this is a common problem, it seems unfortunately it is. But I've also read there was some problems with the early models, so maybe it's been sat in the shop a while?

The issue I now have is I've lost faith in the amp and don't want to replace it for this to happen again and potentially cost me money to fix, so I'm looking for your help and hoping you can restore my faith in the amp, because I absolutely love the look and sound of it (when it was working).

Anybody know what this issue is exactly and know if it's anything I've possibly done myself to cause it?

Thanks in advance.

Martin

md1912

Re: Fault with Bass Terror 500 - help needed

Post by md1912 » Sun May 11, 2014 10:09 am

Can provide the serial number also if that helps

OrangePaul
Orange Master

Post by OrangePaul » Sun May 11, 2014 11:32 am

If it was mine I'd rule out the valves first as I have spares and it's not uncommon for valves to fail early on...

Once they get past that early 'burn in' stage they tend to keep going for the most part.

If you don't have available spares though it's probably worth letting your warranty deal with it.
Paul.

md1912

Post by md1912 » Sun May 11, 2014 11:43 am

Thanks for the quick response.

Would this prevent the amp from turning on? My knowledge of hybrid/tube amps isn't great unfortunately.

Thanks

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Sun May 11, 2014 3:09 pm

Frankly I'd make use of your warranty. If powering up didn't happen properly (no fan, no jewel light) until a couple of minutes after flipping the switch, then that has nothing to do with a preamp valve. The volume drop might have though.

I suspect this amp may have multiple issues eg. it may have been dropped hard. I'd send it back!

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

md1912

Post by md1912 » Sun May 11, 2014 4:15 pm

I will be phoning the store I purchased it from first thing in the morning, don't you worry about that..

Problem I've got now is, I don't want to exchange it for another one as I've lost faith in them. Generally, how reliable are these? I've looked a few forum posts on the net which have put me off...

I will be using it on a weekly basis for rehearsal and gigging once or twice a week, so need something is reliable and going to last me the long term.

Thanks

Martin

OrangePaul
Orange Master

Post by OrangePaul » Sun May 11, 2014 4:59 pm

I know there has been issues with this amp including a few posting on here...
But I'm pretty sure they got them sorted and were very happy in the end.

Maybe yours is from an early production run? Orange are normally pretty good at this sort of thing...
Paul.

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Sun May 11, 2014 6:50 pm

If you look on bass forums around the world you'll find these amps are well liked and reliable.

The fact that there was an early batch with faulty output transistors was only a temporary blip which Orange were willing and able to help affected customers with. That problem gave totally different symptoms to yours anyway.

If you fancy the idea of the amp then get one which is working properly. Generally they do!!!

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

md1912

Post by md1912 » Sun May 11, 2014 7:51 pm

Thanks for your comments. I was thinking earlier that this May well be an early one, so I'm hoping the new which one I get is sound and will work fine.

Thanks

3l3phantstomp
Tiny Terror

Post by 3l3phantstomp » Mon May 12, 2014 4:44 pm

Just give Orange a call/email. They were very prompt and curteous with my repair. I was in the same boat, was worried and shaken by the issue. They fixed it AND improved it, and its been surefire ever since. Destroyed a stage last Saturday night with it.

Either way best of luck but I reccomend letting Orange lock YOURS down and certify it over getting an exchange for new from local shop and possibly getting another new one which may or may not go strange.
tube huffer

md1912

Post by md1912 » Mon May 12, 2014 6:22 pm

I've sent it back to the store today as I've only had it a week, although I'll bare that in mind if I have the same problem with the new one which I get.

Thanks

3l3phantstomp
Tiny Terror

Post by 3l3phantstomp » Tue May 13, 2014 1:14 am

Cheers and bass odyssey. It's worth it no lie.
tube huffer

bassmachine2112

Post by bassmachine2112 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:10 pm

hiho,don,t lose faith,I,ve had mine and a SP212 cab for 18 months now,gigged 2/3 times a week and a practice,never missed a beat.
Sounds fabulous,LOUD and louder still and that tone.
They seem to be on the whole to be very reliable.