Sovtek Mig power issue

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

myboss57
Orange Master

Sovtek Mig power issue

Post by myboss57 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:41 pm

Thought I'd post this here to get y'alls thoughts on it. So the other day I was set to practice, at our space, had my Sovtek Mig 100h plugged into my Furman, and then that into the wall. Our Rock Garage recently had some power issues, and an electrician had come out and gotten us to half power. The outlet I was running out of seemed to be working, as my Furman lit up, my amp jewel light lit up, and there was also a small space heater plugged into the other outlet.

After waiting for my amp to get warm, I switched it ON and played a couple chords - at loud band volumes - and then within a few seconds the volume/gain just DROPPED almost completely. I turned some knobs and jiggled inputs and nothing helped. I looked at the back panel and the power tubes were not glowing. So I switched it off. Checked the fuses, fine. Switched it back on just to see and still nothing.

Took it to my tech and they have not been able to recreate the issue at their shop. They looked inside and checked all the parts and soldering, everything checked out. Tubes were fine, etc. So I'm thinking maybe the power at the Rock Garage caused this? We had our mixing/recording console plugged in and working, my bass player's big amp, and that heater. I was running my amp through my Furman, to be safe, as I always do. Does this sound like anything familiar to anyone?
Gibson SG Standard
http://www.nightmovesmd.bandcamp.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sovtek Mig 100h
TC Alter Ego
Mesa Oversized 412
Prev amps: 90s OD120, Tiny Terror, Rockerverb 100mk1

Gladmarr
Orange Master

Re: Sovtek Mig power issue

Post by Gladmarr » Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:08 pm

Did you try it at your rock garage without the Furman? I thought those things were for lower power stuff like rack units and the like. You may have fried your line conditioner.

myboss57
Orange Master

Post by myboss57 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:11 pm

I did not try it without it. But I did use my back up amp (Crate Powerblock 120 watt) through the Furman, along with my TC Alter Ego pedal. I don't the specs or nomenclature of my exact Furman off hand, but I'm pretty sure it's okay for use with high power stuff - I used to use my OD120 through it as well with no issue.
Gibson SG Standard
http://www.nightmovesmd.bandcamp.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sovtek Mig 100h
TC Alter Ego
Mesa Oversized 412

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:42 pm

The crate worked but the Mig didn't? But the Mig worked with the tech?

myboss57
Orange Master

Post by myboss57 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:46 pm

Jondog wrote:The crate worked but the Mig didn't? But the Mig worked with the tech?
Yup. The techs could not recreate the issue with the Mig in their shop. I really think it's got to be something power source related with our practice space. But still weird that other stuff would work in the practice space and the Mig wouldn't.
Gibson SG Standard
Sovtek Mig 100h
TC Alter Ego
Mesa Oversized 412

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:50 pm

Is it possible the techs used a different power cord?

myboss57
Orange Master

Post by myboss57 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:55 pm

Jondog wrote:Is it possible the techs used a different power cord?
Possible, I did not give them the amp power cord when I dropped it off. But I think, I could be wrong though, that I used the same power cord going into the Crate.
Gibson SG Standard
Sovtek Mig 100h
TC Alter Ego
Mesa Oversized 412

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:06 pm

Tough to sort out. I looked at the MIG 100 schematic. Only thing I could see being a possible issue there is it looks like there is a voltage selector swith for 240, 230, 120 and 100 volts AC on the PT. Without knowing what type of voltage is at your practice room, I wonder if the Voltage is lower than 120 and your amp is set for 120 and its being starved for power? Just a thought, I don't know if that would do it. If you can get a multimeter you could check the voltage in the outlet. The other equipment might be able to run lower than 120?? Maybe not enough current?

myboss57
Orange Master

Post by myboss57 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:53 pm

Jondog wrote:Tough to sort out. I looked at the MIG 100 schematic. Only thing I could see being a possible issue there is it looks like there is a voltage selector swith for 240, 230, 120 and 100 volts AC on the PT. Without knowing what type of voltage is at your practice room, I wonder if the Voltage is lower than 120 and your amp is set for 120 and its being starved for power? Just a thought, I don't know if that would do it. If you can get a multimeter you could check the voltage in the outlet. The other equipment might be able to run lower than 120?? Maybe not enough current?
Hmm, I don't know, but that sounds like it could be a possible issue. I'll ask my tech about that tomorrow too, see if they think that could be it. At this point, I'm pretty sure it's the practice space power line. Next time I'm over there I'm going to try some other outlets.
Gibson SG Standard
Sovtek Mig 100h
TC Alter Ego
Mesa Oversized 412