th30 power tubes

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

davebolden44
Rocker

th30 power tubes

Post by davebolden44 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:12 pm

Greetings, I am new to the forum(or any forum for that matter) and this will be my first post. I have a question concerning my th30. It had a weird echoing when I ran a reverb pedal through the loop that it never did before. Through some deduction and swapping of some known good preamp tubes I have traced and fixed that problem. However, now I can crank the clean channel volume to maximum and stand right beside it as if it were on one. Would I be correct in assuming that this could be attributed to the power tubes? Gain channel seems unaffected by the way. Any assistance in the matter would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
fresh outta oranges

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Re: th30 power tubes

Post by Randy Bass » Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:01 am

If the volume issue is only present on the Clean Channel, you most likely have a weak preamp tube. If it happened as a result of swapping around tubes to troubleshoot the reverb issue, I think you have some more swapping to do. :D

davebolden44
Rocker

Post by davebolden44 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:09 pm

I just changed all the preamp tubes with brand new ones. Wonder if it could be something else or perhaps they sent me a bad tube. Would you happen to know which tube operates the clean channel so I can swap it specifically?
fresh outta oranges

onetracker
Rocker

Post by onetracker » Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:29 pm

ok silly question:

do you have send/return reversed in the effects loop?
what can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof

davebolden44
Rocker

Post by davebolden44 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:56 pm

no everything with the effects loop seems to be working fine. the only issue it seems is that I can max out the clean channel and it isn't as loud as the dirty channel is on one. I changed the clean channel preamp tube a couple times so ultimately im left to believe it is something else. I read on another forum someone had the same issue and it was said it may be a resistor around v3 tube socket. the guy said he fixed it by beefing up solder joints and reflowing them around that tube socket but I want a few more expert opinions before I go tinkering in the unknown
fresh outta oranges

davebolden44
Rocker

Post by davebolden44 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:30 pm

fixed
fresh outta oranges

itstooloudmike

Post by itstooloudmike » Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:11 pm

OK, don't keep us in suspense, tell us what was wrong.

davebolden44
Rocker

Post by davebolden44 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:52 pm

the solder joints connecting the volume pot to the pcb were failing. touched up and good as new. it looked like the previous owner tried to do some similar work on this amp, the board was dirty and there was some melting around the treble pot on the clean channel so I guess a moron tried a similar procedure in the past. luckily it still works fine
fresh outta oranges