Will using a boost in the loop do any damage?

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

ChrisSammacicci

Will using a boost in the loop do any damage?

Post by ChrisSammacicci » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:26 am

Hi all,

Apologies if this has been discussed already (if it has, I couldn't find it!).

I recently purchased my first Orange…a Rockerverb 50 MKii, having been converted from my old Mesa Single Rec, and it's simply awesome! Can't believe how sterile it made the Mesa sound!

Anyways….the one and only thing I miss about the Single Rec is the solo boost. I've read post after post about all you guys running a clean boost in the loop, but a friend of mine is an Orange sales manager, and told me not to use a boost in the loop as it will, in his words "feck it up!"

I'm not discrediting what he has told me, but it seems to be a common thing to do, having read what others are doing.

So, could anyone more technical minded (more technical minded than me that is), help out with this one? Will I do any damage to anything if I boost the power section every now and then? (I'm working on the assumption here that the loop is engaged after the preamp section, and before the power tubes and possibly the PI?)

I don't need it to go crazy loud…literally just lift the overall volume a touch, just to help get any solos to stick out a bit, just like the Single Rec would. I use both the clean and distorted channels, and play in a couple of bands doing very different styles of music, so need both channels, and to be able to boost both channels.

I'd rather use a boost over an EQ, as the sound I get is the sound I want, I just need it to get a bit louder! : )

Thanks!

OrangePaul
Orange Master

Re: Will using a boost in the loop do any damage?

Post by OrangePaul » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:09 pm

You just need to be a bit more careful in the loop but if you're sensible about it I wouldn't have thought it would be a problem...
Paul.

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:20 pm

Boosts are designed to "boost" the guitar's level going into the front of the amp.

I think it would probably 'work' just not the way you want. My gut feeling is it would sound like ass. But who knows... give it a try!

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:27 am

I don't think you'll eff the amp up. You might overdrive the tubes which will effect their life span maybe if you are using tons of boost, but at that point you're not getting louder, just distorted. Effects loops in general cut and then boost signals, and some have adjustable levels that are foot-switchable for the purpose of using them as a solo boost, just what a boost pedal does. I think you'll be safe with up to 10db of boost to start and go from there. A lot of boost pedals are +20db, so try one at half. I wouldn't be scared to push it. The effects loops I've been installing all have a boost function on them which boosts the signal 10db from the preamps signal.

ChrisSammacicci

Post by ChrisSammacicci » Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:40 pm

Ok, cool....thanks guys!

I don't need to go crazy with it, so hopefully just a little will do the trick! I'm looking at a couple of MXR's right now....

I'm more than open to any suggestions any of you have....if you think there are any better ways to achieve what I'm looking to do?

Man1ak
Orange Hero

Post by Man1ak » Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:43 pm

I would go with a booster that allows some tone correction. That would give you some flexibility to get as transparent a boost as possible.

Orphin
Duke of Orange

Post by Orphin » Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:47 pm

If you put the boost in front of the amp, you will push the pre amp (small tubes). The higher gain setting you have set on the amp, the less volume increase you get, but the tone will distort more. If the gain setting is low, you'll achieve a push in volume and just a little grainier tone.

If you put the boost in the loop (which is 100% safe to do), you will only push the power amp (large tubes). As these tubes have a lot more headroom, you can achieve great volume increase like this, without any more gain. I recommend using your boost here if that is what you want to achieve.

A boost in the loop will not sound bad in any way, as a boost just increases the signal level.
You can experiment freely with all your effect pedals in the loop. Some will sound like @ss but they won't harm the amp.
David
I'm speaking out of my a$$. Yours might differ.

ironlung40
Orange Master

Post by ironlung40 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:33 pm

Orphin wrote:If you put the boost in front of the amp, you will push the pre amp (small tubes). The higher gain setting you have set on the amp, the less volume increase you get, but the tone will distort more. If the gain setting is low, you'll achieve a push in volume and just a little grainier tone.

If you put the boost in the loop (which is 100% safe to do), you will only push the power amp (large tubes). As these tubes have a lot more headroom, you can achieve great volume increase like this, without any more gain. I recommend using your boost here if that is what you want to achieve.

A boost in the loop will not sound bad in any way, as a boost just increases the signal level.
You can experiment freely with all your effect pedals in the loop. Some will sound like @ss but they won't harm the amp.
Yep....

but in some rare cases it depends on the circuit it won't work this way...for instance the marshall vintage modern has a different effects loop circuit than most and you will not get a volume increase when boosting through the loop there like you would in most amps....don't ask me to explain the difference, but someone may chime in and do so....maybe it has something to do with the ppimv in the vintage modern....not sure...but I would say 90% of all amps will get more of a volume boost in the loop like stated above...great for lead breaks when you don't want to add gain
Sincerely,
Ironlung40
OR120 Pix/text
Tiny Terror HW
Rocker 30 combo
Rockververb 100 MKII
Thunderverb 200
Gibson SG 61 RI

ChrisSammacicci

Post by ChrisSammacicci » Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:47 pm

Hi all!

Thanks again for all of your comments. I have a boost running in the loop, and it does exactly what I was hoping for…takes my existing tone and just makes it a touch louder!

If it's any help to anyone, I ended up going for an Electro Harmonix LPB-1 Power Booster. I tried this against an MXR Micro Amp, and couldn't really hear any difference between the two (my ears are probably ruined from years of abuse!). Again, I didn't need either pedal to work at crazy levels of volume, so they may react and sound different at higher levels.

Price won that argument at the end of the day, the LPB-1 being almost £40 cheaper! So a pretty good saving on something that does exactly the same thing.

I barely have to turn the level of the boost to get the extra volume that I was looking for, so it works perfectly, and as it's not used constantly, I'm not pushing the power tubes too hard!

Man1ak
Orange Hero

Post by Man1ak » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:53 pm

Good stuff. That LBP is a steal and heard great reviews. I was tempted by it, but ended up buying a Mooer Pure Boost due to size.

lunchbox
Orange Hero

Post by lunchbox » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:03 pm

Sounds like all you need is a volume pedal.

http://www.jimdunlop.com/product/dvp1-volume-pedal

ChrisSammacicci

Post by ChrisSammacicci » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:23 am

Man1ak - Yeah the Mooer's look good, I would have tried one, if the store had any in stock…but at least with the LPB only being one control, it's less for me to have to think about! :D

lunchbox - I dunno if a volume pedal will work in the loop? Turning it all the way down will surely just kill the sound completely, as it would if it was in the chain in front of the amp. I guess it could be set so that with the pedal all the way on would be the solo volume, and then just back it off to get the rhythm volume…but that'd affect my gain, plus would probably need to be precise in find the sweet spot for rhythm volume. I'm not one for standing still at gigs, so I just needed something I can jump on and off easily! :)