Rocker 30C giving up the ghost...

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

tarfungo
Tiny Terror

Rocker 30C giving up the ghost...

Post by tarfungo » Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:51 pm

...more specifically, low frequencies...

Hello All!

While at rehearsal last night, my Rocker30C would intermittently go into a hyper treble sound mode as if a high pass filter was being applied - losing most of it's bass frequencies and also becoming somewhat more distorted (natural channel in this case) compared to the 'normal' sound. This would last from a few seconds to a few minutes, then back to normal.

This affects both channels, with or without pedal board and after swapping guitar cables. I tapped around on the tubes while it was in its diminished state with no effect.

Tubes are about 6 months old (full re-tube), NOS bought from an Orange Forum recommended 'good guy' tube dealer. I have the old set of tubes I could swap out as a troubleshooting step, but I was wondering if anyone had any more specific thoughts about what might be going on?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts...
Orange AD30HTC
Orange Rocker 30 Combo
Orange OR50H
Orange PPC212 x 2

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Re: Rocker 30C giving up the ghost...

Post by a.hun » Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:44 pm

Not guaranteed, but quite possibly a problem with the 3rd preamp valve, V3. That is the one furthest from the input jack socket.

I'd try swapping that out with a known good preamp valve for starters anyway.

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:05 am

ditto

fiveightandten
Orange Master

Post by fiveightandten » Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:10 am

...or one power tube going down. Don't play the amp outside of troubleshooting it until it's sorted. If a new PI tube, as Andy suggested, doesn't do it, swap out the EL34s.

-Nick
'71 GRO100 || '96 OR-80 || AD30 || '64 AC-50 || AC-30TBX || Hiwatt DR504 || HI-TONE HT30
LP Standard || LP Studio || LP Custom Lite || Ric 620 || Ric 360 || MIA Tele || SG 61 RI