OR80R REPAIRED but... BROKEN SPEAKER. ARGHHH!!!!!!

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

Jorge

Post by Jorge » Thu Jul 24, 2003 6:38 pm

The OR80R is repaired, but one speaker is broken.

Can anybody tell me wich one is the original speaker??? (Brand, model, impedance, power)

There is not a lot of info about this amp in internet. I've found that they are 25/30 watts celestion greenbacks. But i'm not sure (The amp is rated 80 watts).

Any help?

I HAVE FINALLY BOUGHT IT.

I'M HAPPY AS A KID.

WHAT A SOUND. THE SPEAKER WORKS VERY GOOD FOR NOW, ANYWAY I'LL SAVE FOR NEW V'30'S.

Edited by - Jorge on 01 Aug 2003 14:23:20

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Thu Jul 24, 2003 10:46 pm

Jorge, without a picture of your speakers and an identification of which one is blown, there is no way to tell for sure. Original speakers could be Celestion, Emminence, and maybe Fane or so I've heard- in addition, various wattage speakers were used. If it's blown you could have it reconed- no need to buy a new one. Just make sure that they're all the same impedance speakers. Billy

Jorge

Post by Jorge » Sat Jul 26, 2003 10:37 pm

Thank you very much!
I'll try to post a photo of it on monday.

All I know is that the magnets are round and have a sticker with the ORANGE logo.

I'll ask the technician what's exactly happening to the speaker.

Do you think i shouldn't buy it?
Maybe it's going to be a problem to put it in perfect conditions.

What do you think?????

Thank you again.

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Sat Jul 26, 2003 11:57 pm

That would be Celestions I think, if the magnets are round Emminence have square magnets.

Is this a combo? If you are concerned about the amp, try the amp through an external speaker cabinet...

Otherwise, I'd get Celestion Vintage 30's to replace the speakers if you can... they can handle a lot of wattage- much more than 25's or 30's can. Especially if we're talking about a 2 X 12 combo- if you're talking about a separate 4 X 12 cabinet, then I would just get the speaker reconed. Billy

Jorge

Post by Jorge » Mon Jul 28, 2003 11:02 am

VINTAGE 30'S. Thank you again.

It's a 2x12.

The tech. told me this morning that the cone is not broken. It's the wound of the magnet, that has one round loose (I don't know if those are the correct terms in english, sorry). He says you notice it when you put a very low frequency (50-60 hz) throught it. What do you think about this?

I think that frequencies are not very present in the guitar so... maybe that wouldn't bother me 'till I save some money for the 30's.

I think I'm getting it and taking the risk. Do you think this could be and endless storie of repair after repair??????????

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Mon Jul 28, 2003 4:12 pm

No, I don't think so.... I'd try to get the speaker right before getting the cab though.... otherwise, if the speaker is working, I'd start saving soon for new speakers...

Basically, a cabinet is a cabinet and not much can go wrong with them unless you drop them out of a truck or down a flight of stairs but then again..... they're Orange and would probably just go through the wall at the bottom of the stairs.... Billy

Jorge

Post by Jorge » Fri Aug 01, 2003 2:40 pm

I finally got it, and couldn't be happier.

It sounds so different. Those VELVET-LIKE tones i get from it... that light sparkle i can also get... And that thing called F.A.C. is really cool for pre-equalising the amp (If it's that what it exactly does).
The HF Drive is also a exellent tool for tayloring your sound.

I have also plugged a jmp1 to its low input and sounds better than ever (the jmp1).

Thank you very much for your help, Billy.