AD30TC Head

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

boxingnoise

Post by boxingnoise » Fri Jul 18, 2003 7:07 am

Let me begin by expressing my love for the sound of these amps. I have yet to play through anything that sounds better...however...

Recently my head has started to cut in and out after 40 minutes or so of play...I assumed it was a heat problem, and placed a fan behind the amp; that go it through that practice. At the next practice, where the temperature was much cooler, I had no problems. Sure enough, next heatwave comes through and it is doing the same thing.

I called orange today about it and they are "out of the office" until the 22nd. So anyone with similar problems that they have resolved, please let me know how/what you did to fix it; anyone else that would like to take a stab at it, please post. Unfortunately, after perusing these boards, problems in and around the volume loss/cut out seem to abound in the ad30 series; hopefully this is not the case as I am considering this for a touring amp.

Thanks!

N.

www.boxingdaymusic.com

ga-30

Post by ga-30 » Mon Aug 04, 2003 6:42 am

i recently had a similar situation occur with my AD-30TC. my first gig with the amp was an outdoor show. it was at night, and the temp was about 80 degrees. i was able to determine that the symptom was somehow related to the channel switching circuitry. i tried two different footswitches each one worked briefly but then became intermittent. i did'nt have another amp with me. so i unplugged the footswitch. and i was able to use channel 2 all night without any trouble. if i switched the toggle to channel 1, it would work sometimes, then it would cut out again. the following day i tried to reapeat the symptom, but the damned thing worked perfectly for two hours. i continually used the footswitch, and the toggle switch, and could not get the amp to act goofy. of course i was in my airconditioned house. the TC'S circutry uses two relalays to accomplish silent channel switching, which could be temperature sensitive. i dont particularly trust these relays in my amplifiers. i wonder if i should have bought the single channel ad-30. Can Anybody Help Us?

Davis
Tiny Terror

Post by Davis » Thu Aug 07, 2003 8:25 pm

Hmmmm.....must be an isolated problem unique to your amp. I've owned my AD30TC since earlier this year and it's always worked great. Sorry to hear about your troubles. It can be very frustrating, I know.

justin
Tiny Terror

Post by justin » Thu Oct 02, 2003 9:03 pm

I had the exact same thing happen to me a coupl enights ago. Ch2 would work fine, but Ch1 was cutting out. It did come back after a while and began working perfectly again. I was going to re-do all the solder joints, but upon looking at the amp, they all *looked* OK. I also noticed that is a relay in the circuit, which I imagined was for the channel switching feature. One of the above posts states the same thing.

Perhaps it is a temp-sensitive relay? In other words, it fails when it gets too hot. It's mounted directly to the board and I have no idea how hot it gets there. Maybe one fix would be to relocate the relay to another part of the chassis (as far from the tubes as possible)and use flying leads to connect it to the circuit.

Of course all this is speculation, but it seems that the problem could very well be narrowed down to relay.
AD30HTC
OR series 4x12 w/V30's