Need help about an OR80R

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

Jorge

Post by Jorge » Wed Jul 16, 2003 3:12 pm

Hi everybody!

I'm thinking about buying a second hand OR80R.
It doesn't work, so now it's at the repair shop for a review.

I know old oranges are not easy to mantain.

If the repair man tells me it's not very expensive to repair maybe i'll buy it.

But i'd like to know some things:

Does anybody know anything about this model? (I can't find it at Harmony Central or elsewhere in the net)

Waht the F.A.C. is the F.A.C. pot for?

What is the HF Drive?

I know this is not easy but... Could anybody tell my what kind of sound should i expect from this amp? Or where to learn something about it on the net?

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Wed Jul 16, 2003 4:23 pm

FAC is Frequency Analyzer Control- Orange's way of saying that it's an adjustable set of EQ's- all the way to the left is bassier and all the way to the right is treble-y.

If I remember right, HF is presence. I think, and I could be wrong, that HF stood for High Frequency.

Ask your repair guy to identify repairs and changes made to the amp. Often, Oranges are unreliable because repairs have been done and components used that didn't match what Orange used. The best thing would be to have a repairman put the amp right- using as many sourced parts as possible, and retube so the amp has a fresh start.

It should end up being a terrific amp! Billy

Jorge

Post by Jorge » Thu Jul 17, 2003 1:19 pm

Thank you very much. I'll ask the repair man about previous rapairs made to it.

So there are not separated gain and volume knobs... i'll have to try some OD pedals before buying it (I need some mid-gain sounds).

By the way, there is a funny thing about the amp: It doesn't look like, let's say "new" (It must have had a hard life). But when you look at the back of the amp, everything is clean and nice looking there, and the power amp tubes look like they haven't been used a lot, they look like new ones, and they are MULLARDS. I think these are very apreciated tubes. Am i alright?