Orange micro terror amp head feeding two ppc108 cap?

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

lukerluker

Orange micro terror amp head feeding two ppc108 cap?

Post by lukerluker » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:50 pm

I bought a orange micro terror amp head and a ppc108 cap, the volume is not enough after i try it in my place.

I am going to buy one more ppc108 cap for increase my volume.

and there is two questions:

1. is it possible and safe feeding two ppc108 cap?

2. ppc108 is a 20w cap, will i get 40w power (volume) by feeding two ppc108?

i know i can solve these problem after I got a ppc212, but it is out of budget (my church :oops: )

thank you very much

GummiTZ
Tiny Terror

Re: Orange micro terror amp head feeding two ppc108 cap?

Post by GummiTZ » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:34 pm

You can connect two PPC108 cabinets to the Micro Terror, but don't expect the volume to double. It might give you a little more volume, but hardly enough if you have problems being heard already. The 20W rating on the PPC108 tells you how much power the cabinet can handle before taking damage. Two cabinets will not give you 40W of power, but they will handle a total of 40W if you get a more powerfull amplifier in the future.

I would recommend you save up for a PPC112, which has a very sensitive speaker and should give you a fair bump in volume. If that is too expensive, start looking for a used cabinet instead, Orange or not.

lukerluker

Post by lukerluker » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:03 pm

but i don't understand because someone said micro terror has a solid state output stage the output power does depend on the speaker impedance.

It is the total impedance of the cab that matters, rather than the impedance of a single speaker.
You can get a total impedance of 4 ohms from:

1) A single 4 ohm speaker
2) Two 8 ohm speakers wired in parallel
3) Four 16 ohm speakers wired in parallel
4) Four 4 ohm speakers wires in series-parallel

So you could use a single speaker cab, a dual speaker cab or a quad speaker cab.
It all depends on what you want really.

As the max output power of the Micro Terror is 20watts using a 50watt single speaker should be fine.

i got mad of it :(

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:07 pm

lukerluker wrote:but i don't understand because someone said micro terror has a solid state output stage the output power does depend on the speaker impedance.
That is true, but see also what I just wrote on that thread.

GummiTZ is right. Don't expect the volume to double with a second cab - or anything like it. It'll be a bit louder but not by that much.

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

RickenBangler
Orange Hero

Post by RickenBangler » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:21 pm

Both Gummitz and Andy speak wise words...
The PPC112 Cab is loaded with a relatively efficient (Celestion V30) speaker - so you should enjoy more decibels than the PPC108. I wouldn't expect a massive increase though...

If you're playing out with the Micro (which I really only consider as a practice - possibly recording - amp, then you would get better results by sticking a mic in front of it and putting it through a PA.
CR60C+PPC112 Mini Stack
Rickenbacker 620/6 JetGlo | G&L Fallout | Fender P-Bass
MarkBass Micromark 801
Past Orange Relationships Micro Crush | Crush CR35LDX | Tiny Terror | OR15/PPC112

The Provocateurs Bandcamp

lukerluker

Post by lukerluker » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:32 pm

really really thank you for RickenBangler, GummiTZ and a.hun.

in the case, something I forgot to say.

About the volume, i try to compare with my old combo amp(40W, over 10 years) and the set of M.T by the input level of my zoom h1 recorder.

The result is that
M.T set is weaker than old one in clean tone( full volume, 3 o'clock gain)
M.T set is louder than old one in dirty tone (full gain, 8 o'clock volume)

As I know , our guitar player never play with fully volume(old one) . because it is too loud of our worship.
Finally, we decide to buy one more ppc108 to increase the whole volume, clean tone volume and prevent problems appear when we play with fully volume.

I know ppc112 is more suitable, but i can't decide to buy it. My boss don't wanna spend too much money in the part of guitar (OMG). The advise suggested by you there are very useful and i learn a lot.
BTW I don't have choice of buying ppc112 :evil:

there is a few question:

1. I know the volume only increase a little bit by 2 ppc108 now. I think increase half or 1/3 volume should be enough, is it possible?

2. How can I prevent the damage of fully volume or when should I stop when i am turning loudy?

Sorry about that I can't follow yours advise, i just want to improve the quality with no one support and they don't accpet I buy a ppc112 for a gift to them........... :roll:

Thank you

lukerluker

Post by lukerluker » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:00 pm

we will putting it through a PA in the future and now we sticking a mic in front of it :?