OR15H Tone controls. 'Cut' only?

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

Hammerheart

OR15H Tone controls. 'Cut' only?

Post by Hammerheart » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:20 pm

I've searched the net and the forum for an answer to this but have had no luck.

Where is the standard setting for these? are they cut and boost from the 12 o'clock position or are they cut-only and fully open at the 10 (5o'clock) position? :?:

GummiTZ
Tiny Terror

Re: OR15H Tone controls. 'Cut' only?

Post by GummiTZ » Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:27 pm

Most tube amps including this one have passive tone stack, meaning cut only. But they are still tuned to sound the most "neutral" with the controls at noon.

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:45 pm

Hi Hammerheart. Welcome to the forum.
GummiTZ wrote:Most tube amps including this one have passive tone stack, meaning cut only. But they are still tuned to sound the most "neutral" with the controls at noon.
+1. Though with an Orange amp 'neutral' isn't the same thing as 'flat EQ' - Oranges are pretty 'coloured' amps tonally.

Some amps do sound good with everything full open. You'll have to maybe try this yourself and see if you like it or not with the OR15, but it certainly isn't how I usually set my own Oranges. Usually 12 O'clock is a good starting point.

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

Hammerheart

Post by Hammerheart » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:36 pm

I just wondered because it sounds properly awesome maxed out with the treble and mid backed off a touch. I just wondered if this was a bit of a heathen thing to do lol. It's my first tube amp with separate tone controls. To my ears it's not as 'alive' with all set to twelve. I loved it so much I bought it anyway! Sounds great through the jim root cab! :twisted:

Cheers for the replies anyway.

GummiTZ
Tiny Terror

Post by GummiTZ » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:56 am

If it sounds good, it is good, heathen or not. 8)

woodddj
Tiny Terror

Post by woodddj » Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:33 am

@hammerheart - I hate to highjack you thread, but I was courious to know how are you liking your OR15 compared to the dark terror? I have the #4 terror and Dark terror, but have been thinking about getting an OR15. How does the gain of the OR15 compare to the DKT?

Hammerheart

Post by Hammerheart » Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:30 am

I find the OR15 a lot thicker sounding than the DT. It has as much if not more gain than the DT. If the DT is the thrash and death metal amp then the or15 is the stoner rock amp. (To my ears)

woodddj
Tiny Terror

Post by woodddj » Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:51 pm

thanks for the info. i was in the market to buy an OR15 but came across a good deal on the #4 and couldnt pass it up. now im back to square one on saving money to get one. hopfully in a few months i will have saved enought to get one.

Hammerheart

Post by Hammerheart » Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:48 pm

I bought a new guitar today so I have been playing both amps loads. One thing I will say is that the Dark Terror actually does much better 'sparkly' cleans. The OR15H is quite hairy all the time.

woodddj
Tiny Terror

Post by woodddj » Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:39 am

Yea, I've noticed that I can get a cleaner clean with my DKT versus my #4. Both amps are still great amps, and I find myself swapping between both amps a lot. But I guess if I had to choose between the two, I would pic the DKT.