Slinky 10's

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

nlimbaugh
Orange Master

Slinky 10's

Post by nlimbaugh » Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:40 am

I like 10's. My tendons gave up on the 11's and 12's. I seemed to stop getting any better and I wasn't getting any stronger for sure.

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Re: Slinky 10's

Post by a.hun » Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:34 pm

I like 10s too. I use them on both Fender and Gibson style guitars. No shame in that. :)

Slinkys are good but I prefer D'Addario. Their quality control is such that I've never found a duffer in any set I've used, for bass, electric, acoustic or nylon guitars. My old tech has much the same experience and has fitted many more sets over the years than I have.

I also keep my strings clean (Fast Fret) which prolongs their useful life several times over. I don't have to change them very often at all, and don't usually change guitar strings until I start having intonation problems. On bass though the loss of tone and punch usually gets me swapping them before that happens. There comes a point where no amount of cleaning brings the tone back, and that is when they have to go.

FWIW I've noticed a strange phenomenon with Slinkys. From new the sound seemed to go off fairly quickly but then they recover nicely and stay very stable a very long time. (This with regular cleaning of course.) Odd, but another friend found exactly the same. Have never noticed that with others, though of course I hardly ever use any others these days...

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:36 pm

PS: Maybe want to delete the double thread here while you still can? (= Before somebody else posts on it.)

Andy.

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

Stringjunkie
Tiny Terror

Post by Stringjunkie » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:35 am

I love EB strings! I use 9s on my RG and strat, but 10s on my LP.

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:02 pm

Stringjunkie wrote:I love EB strings! I use 9s on my RG and strat, but 10s on my LP.
Given your forum name thats a ringing endorsement! :D

Andy.