TV 200 loop

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

Conker

TV 200 loop

Post by Conker » Sun May 13, 2012 7:45 pm

I have noticed a problem with the loop on my TV 200 I just wanted to know if anyone else has experienced this or may have a answer to correct it.

I have a Digitech RP1000 that I run in the loop of my other amp it works perfect.
I use a four cable method . I bought this pedal because I wanted to be able to use just the amps distortion but have a easy to transport effect unit to go in the loop. Noisegate / Delay /Chorus ect ect
This video is a demo of it , infact on a TV 50 which is what sold it to me.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42EtqgHL ... el&list=UL
The problem I have is when I connect the pedal into the loop and use a 4 cable method
I am getting a volume drop and quite a large one.
For example if I used a DB meter to do rough test if I plugged straight in the front, straight guitar to input I was getting a reading of 110 db.
When I connected the pedal up I was getting 105 to 106 db which is a fair and very noticeable drop.

Thinking it was the pedal I changed every setting I could with no difference.
I then tried to run just a noise gate and then a chorus in the loop a totally different units and I am getting the same.
So the question is could it be the loop valve failing ? Resulting in this loss of volume. It is almost as if it needs a DB gain on the loop.
I have just had new power tubes and the 4 pre amp tubes fitted the only ones not changed were the Loop and Reverb tubes.
I love the tone of the amp but as with all tube amps used at high volume and high gain, the pre amp hiss hum drives me mad when I am not playing.
On my other amp the Digitech makes it silent even at very high volume and near max gain.
I was hoping it would do the same on my TV 200.
Also is the loop parallel or n series nothing is mentioned in the manual.

Thanks in advance for any help.

leopoldbloom
Tiny Terror

Re: TV 200 loop

Post by leopoldbloom » Mon May 14, 2012 8:47 am

I have also noticed a volume drop when I use the loop in mine. It has been that way since I got it.

However, it never bothered me since I usually plug an eq pedal in the loop.

Conker

Post by Conker » Mon May 14, 2012 9:19 am

Thanks for the reply, now I know it is a common issue I will work around it. As you say I may put a eq or clean e boost in with the other pedal.

Thanks

bassdrop
Orange Master

Post by bassdrop » Mon May 14, 2012 6:26 pm

You could also check to see if your Digitech has a switchable output level for +4dBu, which is the standard output for studio gear. Ade Emsley, Orange's chief designer, had posted a few years ago that his recommended clean boost for getting more volume out of the loop, where +4 was not an option, was an MXR Micro Amp.
mmmmmm drop

Guthrie Matthews Method
http://www.guthriematthews.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Modified Fender Custom Shop Jazz, Warmoth P/J clone,
Orange AD200 MkIII, Barefaced Compact

Conker

Post by Conker » Mon May 14, 2012 7:00 pm

There is no switch on the digitech unfortunately.
Funny enough I was just surfing ebay for a good clean boost that will not colour the the tone.
No I know it is a known issue , I can try and find a way around it.
Until recently I had never bothered using the loop on the TV just the odd pedal in front.
What really prompted the move into the loop was to noise gate the hum/hiss at high volume/high gain.
Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated and i`ll take a look at the MXR